Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Lags after starting up

• Please log in to reply

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here is step by step of what I can remember when I attemped to fix my friends laptop. I disable wireless internet and his antivirus and firewall. I then loaded on to his computer by means of a usb stick all the software needed to clean up his messy laptop. the programs i gave him are: Uniblue registry booster, Uniblue spyware eraser, Uniblue speed up my pc, Tune-up utilities 2008, Avast 4.8 professional, ccleaner, atf cleaner, Cleanup, malware bytes 1.33,ERUNT and the kapersky virus removal tool. The order I ran the clean up was as follows:

1.tune up utilities deactivated unnessary startup programs and applied one click maintenance. I then repaired registry errors. Restarted the computer. Everything seems fine.

2.I saved a sytem restore point and backuped up my registry using ERUNT.

3.I then ran atf cleaner, Cleanup!(425), and ccleaner followed by a restart. computer started and when it go to the log on screen the mouse(touchpad kind) ran very laggish! and i could not type my password in.

4. I rebooted in safemode and computer ran smooth. I deactivated the log on account that prompts for a password and rebooted loading windows normally which worked everything seemed fine.

5. I then ran the Kapersky virus removal tool and malwarebytes together after which i removed all threats.

6. i then ran spyeraser, and registry booster and restarted the computer on the have windows load normally but super slow and laggish with the pointer not moving at all most of the time.

7. i have rebooted in safemode and the computer works fine. Im sure this is somekind of conflict with software but i cant figure it out.

Any ideas or help apprciated!

Advertisements

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i forgot to mention, between step 5 and 6 I installed avast for him

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
check in the device manager for any yellow ! or ? or any red...
no yellow or red....
repair xp...lowdown is here...

Edited by happyrock, 21 February 2009 - 08:08 PM.

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
First of all thanks for being the first one to reply.

Secondly I have tried what you suggested. In Safe mode i checked to see whether anything in the device manager was tagged with a yellow of red flag I found none and continued to repair XP. Now this laptop does not belong to me and the owner does not have his copy of Xp anymore so I went ahead and got my old copy of XP which is booted from to reapir his computer however many of the files would not load. I also did not back up only with a sytem restore and registry back up in Safe mode........ I also wrote down the names of the files that the repair would not replace or 'fix'. Once it had finished the computer would not allow me to get past windows xp is loading stage even in Safe mode it simply just resatrts. Does this mean I have lost everything? is there a way I can get back my old files on this system?

How should I proceed>?

Thanking you in advance

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
a repair does not hurt your data so its all still there...I have a appointment and have to leave for a couple of hours...will get back to you with our next options....you could try chkdsk /r while you wait though..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry I got caught up with life yesterday...
did you run chkdsk /r yet...you can do it with your xp cd...just use the repair option right at the start...
after running chkdsk...try booting into safe mode..
nojoy...
boot to the repair option of the xp cd again and this time type in SFC /PURGECACHE
note the single space before the /

Edited by happyrock, 24 February 2009 - 08:56 AM.

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

sorry I got caught up with life yesterday...
did you run chkdsk /r yet...you can do it with your xp cd...just use the repair option right at the start...
after running chkdsk...try booting into safe mode..
nojoy...
boot to the repair option of the xp cd again and this time type in SFC /PURGECACHE
note the single space before the /

no sure how to run this chkdsk /r where is this option? I cannot get into windows and the only options i get when i boot from the Xp cd are

1. to setup windows xp now, press ENTER ( I have already tried this as stated previously)
2. To reapir a Windows Xp installation using recovery Console, Press R
3. to quite Setup Without installing Windows Xp, press F3

?? thanks for helping me here

OK now i figured out how to run a chkdsk /r only problem now is that no one knows the admin password now? so how do I overcome this?

DONE ran a chkdsk /p to check for errors and it found non but i'l do a chkdsk /r anyway lets see what happens

Edited by opticalmedia1, 24 February 2009 - 02:26 PM.

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok so after the chkdsk /r

NO JOY!

the I tried the SFC /Purgecache

and then it says the command is not recognized type help for a list of supported commands

whats my next option mate?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this time try SFC /SCANNOW

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Once again the command is not recognised type help for a list of supported commands..........

Is there a way to save my hardrive info and reinstall windows?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you putting a single space before the /

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ye I am...

I type this info in front of the c:\Windows>

just to let you know...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
should look like this..
c:\Windows>sfc /scannow

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
correct and I get the same response..the command is not recognised type help for a list of supported commands..........

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Once again the command is not recognised type help for a list of supported commands..........

Is there a way to save my hardrive info and reinstall windows?

you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system to get your data...

or you can try puppy linux...
get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...
then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 16 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over to another computer and plug in the flash drive and copy all the data files
( I drag and drop) to the other computer..make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..