Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Lags after starting up

• Please log in to reply

opticalmedia1

opticalmedia1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Once again the command is not recognised type help for a list of supported commands..........

Is there a way to save my hardrive info and reinstall windows?

you can remove the drive and slave it to a working system to get your data...

or you can try puppy linux...
get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

OK sweet so I downloaded this puppy and did a data burn of what i downloaded to a new DVD i had. Problem now is when i boot from CD its telling me windows wants to setup....remember I was trying to repair windows last tome so it keeps wanting to continue from there as it never finished properly it keeps freezing.....im trying to find a way to bypass this.....any suggestions. Also if the worst comes to the worst i'd like to remove the drive from the laptop and slave it to my desktop computer but no Idea how to do this, could you point me to a tutorial?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...no need to quote what I said to do...it only slows me down...
important....can another computer read your data you burned to dvd...
question...why are you wanting to slave the drive if you already got the data backed up...tutorial here just in case though...
its a little dated and if you have sata drives there won't be any jumpers to set...
another question...why don't you just continue with the repair...if it doesn't want to work with your copy of xp ...borrow one from a friend or coworker...it needs to be the same flavor ...ie...if its pro your using the borrowed disk needs to be pro too