Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defrag

• Please log in to reply

furyoko

furyoko

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi All,

I'm having problems with the disk defragmenter. I tried to defrag c: and it shows "disk defragmenter could not start" and so does disk check. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Many thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello furyoko

There is many of reasons Disk defrag will not work... Just to cover some things and get a starting point...

"Disk Defragmenter not longer runs correctly. This often happens when you install a third party defragmenter like Diskeeper, then on uninstalling, it does not restore the built in one correctly " More information at : http://www.andreasro.../18/defrag.aspx , May do the trick :)

You can also try this
Try , Start > Run > chkdsk /r ( Press enter )

AND if that fails...
Go to Start > run > services.msc ( Press enter )

scroll down to these services and see if appropriate settings was set.
Logical disk manager - automatic
Logical disk manager administrative service, manual or automatic
DCOM Server Process Launcher ,automatic

If that fails i suggest checking the page filing
you have not turned off Page Filing by any chance ???

Just to make sure :)

check the page file

Go to: Start > control panel > open system > click advanced tab > click "settings" under performance>click advanced tab>click "change" under virtual memory>make sure no paging file isn't selected !

Best of luck
&
Happy computing

Anthony19

PS: Don't forget to Reboot if needed/required to , To make settings take effect :)

Edited by Anthony19, 17 February 2009 - 03:54 AM.

furyoko

furyoko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Anthony19,

I have tried Start > Run > chkdsk /r and fails...

I have check the services and it was ok...

With regards to page file, kindly see attached...

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Page_File.JPG

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello furyoko

Is there any error messages or technical information regarding why the defragmenter could not start ???

PS: the "Error checker", check hard drives for errors will not run , unless you schedule to do so on the next reboot ( because files are used by windows , hence the reason you cannot run in windows :) )

Best of luck

Anthony19

furyoko

furyoko

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Sir,

I also have performed error-checking (start>my computer>right click c:>properties>tools>check now) and it says "windows was unable to complete disk check." I really don't know how to troubleshoot this case. With regards to typing yes (command prompt) to the question "perform disk check in next reboot?", disk check just shows a few (very) seconds at startup, in which I think it hasn't been performed.

Thanks!