Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

moving windows xp

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
is it possilble to d/load my windows xp from my old pc on to my lap top,ive lost the install cd and was hoping i could burn a copy from the pc and put it on the lap top.i would also need to find the activation code using key activation finder program.....would this work or do i have to buy a new windows?

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Technically unless you have a volumn license key, you can have it installed on only 1 computer at a time.

With that said, there is no way to "move".
Cloning the drive would not work either because the old pc is set up with its own specific hardware. The laptop has its own specific hardware and it is different.