Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Edition SP3 [bleep] - Help

• Please log in to reply

GDA_Yo

GDA_Yo

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm running a very old Dell Dimension 4400 that came loaded w/XP Home Edition.....and I've previously attempted to install the SP's as they came out....Each time I'd try to install SP1 or SP2---never worked---so I always did a roll back....

Needless to say, I'm at a point now in upgrading/updating AVG which is requiring the installation of SP3....So I attempted to run the SP3 install.....Ran through the process----requested a reboot----came back with a popup dialog re: some logfile...after selecting OK....got a back screen w/an active cursor....nothing else....will only reboot into Safe Mode....

I tried looking thru previous posts...but most look pretty old for this issue...and I'd hate to do anothe rollback...

Thanx for the help in advance

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
When you install sp-3 you must disable your antivirus. Even then there is more then a reasonable chance that the installation will fail when done on a loaded, long running computer. When asked, I say that I'll rather leave the computer without the service pack then install it and risk a complete failure. I only install it on freshly formated computers and never had a failure. I have two suggestions:

Uninstall AVG in safe mode. Get rid of it because almost every day I see new problems with it. when the computer is fixed Install Avast (my choice) or AntiVir, instead.

After removing AVG reboot and see how things work. If still no good then I see no other way but roll sp-3 back, hoping that that this will bring your computer back to its previous state.

GDA_Yo

GDA_Yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Skeptic....

Thanx for your initial response.....

No go on all 3 fronts....no good on disabling AVG->, no good on removing AVG->SP3...no good on rolling back from SP3....

Using the System Restore to roll back from what was listed as SP3, I get to a point where system shows as being SP2 but will only boot up in Safe mode....when going into the Admin account.....get a message "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run System Restore again...".......This only allows you to reboot and start the same process over again....So I'm caught in a System Restore loop that will not let me do anything....

Now I got into the Add/Remove Programs section and I see Windows SP2 listed....when I try to remove, the dialog box states that it's SP3 and then just sits there if you select the remove option

I tried running System Restore from the command line....but get the same message above....

Any ideas on getting this rolled back??

thanx in advance....

Edited by GDA_Yo, 18 February 2009 - 02:18 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I think that your best option is to backup your data, format the disk, reinstall windows and update immediately to sp-3 and latter updates. I have no other ideas. It looks as if SP-3 failed during the installation and is only party installed.

GDA_Yo

GDA_Yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I think that your best option is to backup your data, format the disk, reinstall windows and update immediately to sp-3 and latter updates. I have no other ideas. It looks as if SP-3 failed during the installation and is only party installed.

Thanx again Skeptic....

Well, unfortunately the Home Edition of XP doesn't contain the Backup utility by default....and in safe mode it's virtually impossible to copy/paste/move between the drives....Any suggestions on trying to get a backup utility installed onto the Safe booted machine? Is there a registry entry I can make to enable copy/paste/move or something to enable my burner software to burn data CD's?

thanx again

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you have the xp cd if not the cab files should be on the computer (use search to find ntbackup)

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into the drive and, if necessary, double-click the CD icon in My Computer.
2.On the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen, click Perform Additional Tasks.

3. Click Brows e this CD.

4. In Windows Explorer, double-click the ValueAdd folder, then Msft, and then Ntbackup.

5. Double-click Ntbackup.msi to install the Backup utility.

Edited by peterm, 20 February 2009 - 03:27 AM.

GDA_Yo

GDA_Yo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Do you have the xp cd if not the cab files should be on the computer (use search to find ntbackup)

Peterm.....Unfortunately, this Dell 4400 (w/the XP Home Edition) was only shipped with Factory Restore Disks, SP2 and the various misc. Dell preloaded applications. The cabs on the computer do not contain the NTBackup utility and the Factory Restore Disks warn that booting to them and running the restore will wipe all data.....so I'll try Skeptic's next

Download Puppy Linux from my list of links below. Download "puppy 2.16.1 seamonkey fulldrivers.ISO". Burn the ISO file to create a bootable CD. For this purpose you can download BurnCDCC from the links below. It's a very simple tool, used exclusively to burn ISO files.

Insert the disk into the CD/DVD drive and boot the computer. Use the default setting except for choosing screen resolution of 600x800 when given the option to do so. After the program is loaded click the icon that looks like flash disk. This will open the file system and will enable browsing your folders. Find the folders that you want to backup, copy and paste them to another storage device.

If the computer doesn't boot, please set boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is first priority boot device.

Skeptic...

Worked great....I'm in.....Now the only thing that would help additionally would be driver/application that would let me write directly to the Sony CD-RW (CRX310EE).....or should I invest in a USB backup hard drive (something like Seagate 500 GB)? Will the Puppy Drive Monitor recognize/work with the USB backup devices??

thanx again in advance

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Puppy Linux should recognize and work with USB drives.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
By all means use the Skeptic's idea. I use linux boot disk myself as well as ubcd4win.
Does windows see your cd drive now?
If it does and you can't get a linux driver you can download ntbackup
click on me
If you buy an external usb hard drive linux should see it.
I will leave you in the hands of the Skeptic.
Cheers
Peterm

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
puppy linux will see usb drives IF you boot puppy with them plugged in to start with....