Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost folders OE 6

• Please log in to reply

antoekneel

antoekneel

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I have lost some OE6 folders, looking around and randomly clicking I have some how managed to find them as .bak files but do not know how to get them back in to OE.
Any help much appreciated

Thanks
antony

Advertisements

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Hi antoekneel,

If you have a file named Folders.bak with the others, place them all in a folder on the desktop.
Rename them all by changing the extension to DBX.
For example: Inbox.bak to Inbox.dbx. Don't change the name of the file, just the extension.
You may have to go into Folder Options>View tab and clear the checkmark from "Hide extenstions for known filetypes" and click OK to do that.

Open OE.
File>Import>Messages.
Select OE6>Next.
Check Import from an OE6 Store directory>Next.
Click the Browse and select the folder on the desktop>OK>Next.
Select All Folders (Or pick the ones you want)>Next.
Let it run and hopefully everything will Import successfully.

T.

antoekneel

antoekneel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I do have a file called Folders.bak with the others, are you suggesting I place the other files in this folder then put them on the desktop?
How do I get into Folder options.
Many Thanks

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
The Folders.bak is a file, not a folder. That always confuses people. :)

Create a new folder on the desktop:
Right click an empty area of the desktop.
From the menu, click New then Folder.
Name this folder Backup.

Place all the files with the BAK extension in the Backup folder (be sure to include the file named Folders.bak).
At the top of the open Backup folder click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
In the list, find and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and then click OK to close the Folder Options.
Rename all the BAK files to DBX. For example: Inbox.bak is renamed to Inbox.dbx, Folders.bak is renamed to Folders.dbx, etc.
Simple way is when you click Rename, the file name will highlight. Set your cursor at the end and click once, then backspace to remove the bak and then type dbx.
If you get a warning about changing the file type, just okay it.

Follow the previous instructions for Importing into OE.
The Backup folder is the one you will browse to.

T.

antoekneel

antoekneel

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
WOW,
You did it
Thanks so much you have been a real help.
I came across a dbx folder I had lost a couple of years ago but was not able to get that back into OE6 any ideas? it might have been from a previous pc?

Thanks

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Glad that worked for you.
If you unchecked the "hide extensions for known file types" in the Folder Options, you should go back and recheck it.
Otherwise, when you try to rename anything you'll have to add the extension to the name.
While you're in the Folder Options, place a check next to "Show hidden files and folders" and click OK.

To place a single DBX file into OE, first create a new folder in OE named Test.
Click on it so it opens and displays the "No messages in this view". That will activate the folder and create a corresponding DBX file in the Message Store folder named Test.dbx.
Now you'll need to open the Message Store folder. Follow these instructions to do that.

In OE
Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.

Click on Start>Run.
Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
The Store Folder containing all the DBX files should open.
Find the file named Test.dbx and delete it.
Rename the DBX file that you want to put into OE to Test.dbx and place it in the Message Store folder. (note: if you are not showing extensions, you won't have to type .dbx when you rename)
Open OE, open folder Test, and the messages should be displayed.