Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot defrag, computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

JC1

JC1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I cannot defrag my computer. It gets to 95% and then freezes. The initial problem is that my computer freezes when I leave it alone for about 5 minutes. My screensaver is set for 30 minutes, and all of power scheme modes are set for never. I cannot figure out what the problem is and it has been going on for several of months (since June 2008). I have tried to contact the manufacturer, but they said that my warranty is out of date and will not help me. I have a Gateway M6959 and I am running on Windows XP. Nothing else is wrong with the computer, and I am able to do a disc clean up. This is just a inconvenience because I cannot leave my computer alone for a few minutes because I will have to restart it. I don't know if this is a sign of a bigger problem. Please help!

Edited by JC1, 17 February 2009 - 04:24 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello JC1...

Can you describe what you see when you come back and the machine has frozen? Is it a totally black screen or is it displaying the desktop and being non-responsive to input devices?

Does pressing and holding the power button for one second do anything to bring it out of it's frozen state?

wannabe1

JC1

JC1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The screen is still the same when it freezes. It does not blackout, it is just the frozen state of whatever I had open. I tried to pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager, but this does nothing -- it still remains frozen. When I press the power button for a few seconds, it shuts down the computer. Nothing happens when I press it for one second.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How old is your machine? Is it a laptop or a desktop model?

Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and create a bootable disk as described in this Tutorial or as outlined in the "Quick Start Information" on the Microsoft download page.

Because a bad RAM module can cause freezing issues, we'll check that straight off.

JC1

JC1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I got this laptop for Christmas in 2006. I made a CD-ROM with the Windows Memory Diagnostic and I tried to reboot my computer with it (several of times), but it will not run. I even looked at my "Boot Setup" under my settings during start-up. The CD-ROM was already set to be the first thing on the list, but the program will not run on startup. I've been trying to do this for over an hour and each time I restart my computer with the CD in my computer, the normal startup continues and it will not boot from the CD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you burn the cd as an ISO image?

This is different than burning a data cd...and it requires software capable of burning ISO images. I suggested one such application (in the tutorial I linked you to...ISO Recorder) if you don't have one installed...Microsoft suggests another on the download page. Both are free.

Raaa

Raaa

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I cannot defrag my computer. It gets to 95% and then freezes. The initial problem is that my computer freezes when I leave it alone for about 5 minutes. My screensaver is set for 30 minutes, and all of power scheme modes are set for never. I cannot figure out what the problem is and it has been going on for several of months (since June 2008). I have tried to contact the manufacturer, but they said that my warranty is out of date and will not help me. I have a Gateway M6959 and I am running on Windows XP. Nothing else is wrong with the computer, and I am able to do a disc clean up. This is just a inconvenience because I cannot leave my computer alone for a few minutes because I will have to restart it. I don't know if this is a sign of a bigger problem. Please help!

Raaa

Raaa

• Pip
  • 8 posts
How full is your hard drive? Windows needs 500-800 meg to run properly. Also reboot in safe mode and run scan disk.

JC1

JC1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, here are the things I have done so far ---

1. I booted my computer with the Windows System Diagnostic and there were no defects detected in all 11 tests.
2. I rebooted my computer and ran in safe mode. I checked for errors and that came back negative.

My computer still freezes when I try to defrag. I have 72% of memory left (free space) on my computer.