Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Must hard drives be identical for raid configuration?

• Please log in to reply

kent rogers

kent rogers

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a 250GB W/D harddrive installed now. My computer tells me I have 88GB of space left on this drive. The drive is connected to a SATA connection. I have one more such connection available next to this one.

The drive is a few years old so I'm not sure W/D still makes this exact drive ( I will research) so I was wondering if I will be able to set up a RAID configuration if I get a drive that is not identical???

I'm not sure I really need the RAID confg as my system is plenty fast as is. I was thinking of just insalling another drive and just moving some of my data to the new one.

I was also going to add another GB of RAM the 1GB I now have installed.

Thanks for any suggestions......................Kent

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

I was thinking of just insalling another drive and just moving some of my data to the new one.

This would be the best option. Assuming you mean RAID 0, you can do it with two different drives but each drive will be limited to the size of the smallest drive. So, if you had a 250GB drive and a 750GB drive, the 750GB drive would be limited to 250GB, giving you 500GB total. RAID 0 gives marginal performance benefits in most situations, and if one drive dies, you lose the data on both drives. You say your first drive is already a few years old. The average hard drive lasts about 5-7 years. I would be hesitant to recommend RAID 0 even if these were both brand new drives, but with one drive already aged quite a bit, I see no reason for you to use RAID 0. Furthermore, setting up your hard drives in RAID would require you to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows. This is a hassle at best, and at worst you could lose data if you don't have it backed up. And if Windows came pre-installed on your computer, you may not be able to reinstall Windows without buying a new copy of it.

So, in conclusion, don't use RAID, just add another hard drive.

I'm curious though. 88GB is a lot. Why do you feel you need more space?

kent rogers

kent rogers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help.

Maybe I don't really need more space, I just felt like I have built up this much data maybe I should add some more.

Your right I don't want to reformat that disc and reinstall my XP.

What do you think about getting a much larger drive and copying much of my data to it. Then when my current drive fails I could have copies of some of my folders (like pictures) and I will then switch the new drive to master.

Just a thought............I'm getting to tired to think about it any more tonight.

Thanks for the info......I will check back....................Kent