Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows vista laptop wont stay connected to desktop pc with xp

• Please log in to reply

Shantilly

Shantilly

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i have a dlink router. Have 2 other laptops that automatically connect to home desktop. One uses vista, one uses xp.
Husband bought a new laptop running windows vista. I tried using network magic to connect to desktop. As soon as it connects , desktop shows a message "local area 2 connection unplugged" and the 2 other laptops in the house as well as desktop lose their connections.

On desktop, when I open network connections window, it shows 2 connections.
Internet gateway - connected

and Lan or highspeed
connected/firewalled
Broadcom netextreme gigabit ethernet -connected

On the new laptop, when I click on connect to a network, it shows my home network, connects, then disconnects within 10 seconds. Even when I tried to hardwire the connection, same problem occurs.

Husband's new laptop does connect fine at his place of employment.
Cannot figure out why it wont connect at home.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by Shantilly, 17 February 2009 - 10:12 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Shantilly and welcome to GTG :)

One thing that has me a little confused is that you say your laptops 'connect to the desktop'? Do you mean that they share files with the desktop (i.e. they all connect to the router), or that you are using Internet Connection Sharing from the desktop? I'm going to assume that everything is actually connecting via your router, and you are simply sharing files with the desktop -- please correct me if I'm wrong.

The first thing that leaps to my mind is outdated firmware/drivers. If either your router, or husband's network adapter, have outdated firmware/drivers, then this could explain the strange behavior of your router. Does your husband's network adapter have the latest driver's installed? Does your D-Link router have the latest firmware installed?

I'm a little short on time right now; if you don't know how to check/do these things, please let me know and I'll try to provide more in-depth instructions tomorrow (which may be 'today', for you; depending on your time zone).

If possible, can you please post the exact make and model of your D-Link router, and your husbands Network adapter.

On your husbands laptop, when he is trying to connect to your home network, please do the following:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file ipconfig.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Dan, and thanks for your response!!
I am trying to connect to the internet with the new laptop thru a router. I did update my dlink firmware yesterday, thinking that might be the problem, my husbands laptop is brand spanking new so nothing should have to be updated.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : tanNgotravel-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-EA-D8-7D-14
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink ™ Fast Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-EC-BD-D5-7F

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{0BC4AA27-2086-48D0-8DD6-0402F125EC8B}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{CD779D71-4D52-4D68-BBAF-CEB3134D60E5}

my dlink is wbr1310 model H/W ver B1

I talked to my isp tech support, who said they have been having problems with network magic on windows vista. so i did disable that on husbands pc, but problem still existed. Of course they want me to bring the laptop in to be looked at.

again thanks for your help

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

my husbands laptop is brand spanking new so nothing should have to be pdated.

Unfortunately, they do not always provide you with the latest drivers on new machines; often times they are simply the standard drivers for your adapter. Can you please verify that you do indeed have the latest drivers, just to make me happy? :)

The ipconfig suggests that your husbands adapter is not even trying to communicate with your router; if this is not an outdated firmware/driver issue, it is usually caused by mis-configured security settings. My first thought would be a wireless encryption config issue, however this should have been circumvented by connecting his laptop to the router with an Ethernet cable. My second thought is that it may be a MAC Address filtering issue -- normally, MAC filtering only affects wireless devices, however certain models do also include LAN connection filtering. Do you have MAC address filtering setup? If so, please disable it. Also, just for kicks and giggles, it would be nice to see if your husbands laptop can connect via wireless if you (temporarily!) disable all wireless encryption on your router.

The fact that you said he got a connection for 'about 10 seconds' and then lost it still makes me think adapter driver issue :) I know you said he can connect at work, but do you know what type of encryption they have setup at work?

On the new laptop, when I click on connect to a network, it shows my home network, connects, then disconnects within 10 seconds

Does it report any sort of error message?

Can you please post an ipconfig /all from one of your other (working) laptops (preferably the one with Vista).

Thanks,
- Dan

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Dan ,
did u get my pm?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Shantilly -- I'm sorry, I did indeed get your PM; read it, made a mental note to post a response, and the rest is history -- my memory failed me :)

Everything seems to be pointing to your router; did you try disabling MAC Filtering? Did you try disabling your Wireless Security? Removing these from the equation may help.

On your husbands laptop, please do the following:
  • Select Start
  • Type cmd in the Start Search field
  • Right-click on the cmd program and select Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh int ip reset reset.log
  • Once the above command completes, type netsh winsock reset catalog
  • Restart your computer.
Try to connect your husbands laptop to the network; is he able to?

If not, please do the following:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, type netsh wlan show all > C:\results.txt
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Finally, disabling IPv6 may help; please do the following:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Local Area Connection (or Wireless connection) and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.
Try connecting now; can you?

It may seem a little extreme, but resetting your router to factory defaults and setting your network back up may help; there could be a setting hiding somewhere that is affecting the new laptops attempts to connect.

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Dan,,,,
dont apologize for your memory, I thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this, you have no apologies to make

.... As you can see I posted that from salon , got busy and couldnt get back to answer all your questions from his laptop from there.

""""Everything seems to be pointing to your router; did you try disabling MAC Filtering? Did you try disabling your Wireless Security? Removing these from the equation may help. """"

Mac filtering and wireless security on home dlink both disabled. Firmware has been updated. (bin file upload onto router froze system, so i reset router, set network back up.)

""It may seem a little extreme, but resetting your router to factory defaults and setting your network back up may help; there could be a setting hiding somewhere that is affecting the new laptops attempts to connect.""

did this last night as you can see from above, didnt work either.

""right-click on your Local Area Connection (or Wireless connection)"" .

the laptop has both so I tried disabling on both. (is this where the problem lies maybe??) When I disabled local area
connection, I got the same response, would connect for 10 seconds then disconnect. Once I disabled the the tcp/ipv6 on the wireless connection and tried to connect it takes longer than usual to connect, screen pop ups still on home desktop that local area 2 network cable is unplugged, and laptop screen says it is connected to home but does have limited internet, then goes on to tell me about wireless hotspots. when I click on diagnose the problem, screen says may be due to poor wireless signalquality or because the pc is too far away from the wireless router or access point.

I havent had the chance to send you the ipconfig from other vista laptop (which connects but slows down system, sure due to something she has loaded, as daughter has not been home long enough for me to have access to her pc, teenagers and their privacy you no!!)

I do have all the other reports for you to look at. will check now if i can send them to you, if not i will post in here.

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
one more ? do u no anything about the symantec network security intermediate driver? will do more research on it this tommorow.. have a good night, or day...

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

do u no anything about the symantec network security intermediate driver?

This would have been installed as part of a Norton installation -- can you please restart your husbands laptop in Safe Mode with Networking (note: the instructions are provided for Safe Mode; please make sure you choose Safe Mode with Networking from the list, though). In Safe mode with networking, can your husbands computer connect via Ethernet (i.e wired to the router)? Don't worry about wireless; there's a good chance it won't work.

I've seen Norton software cause some pretty strange issues, and it wouldn't surprise me if this is the cause of your current issue. I would recommend that you actually uninstall it for the time being, and see if the issue(s) persist. To ensure it is completely removed from your computer, please download and run the Norton Removal Tool (run this tool after you have manually uninstalled Norton, from Control Panel > Uninstall a Program ) -- once it is finished, restart your computer and then try to connect via wireless.

If you would prefer to not re-install Norton, then here is a list of Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software recommended by our Malware Experts.

Of course, if you have the CD's that came with Norton, you can always re-install it at a later date.

With Norton removed, can you connect to your home network? I have a feeling that this is actually the cause of your issue, so I feel bad for attacking your router so many times :)

Thanks,
- Dan

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi dan....
sorry work and family issues wouldnt permit me to get back as quick as i wanted.

In Safe mode with networking, can your husbands computer connect via Ethernet (i.e wired to the router)?
Connected to unidentified network - local access only.

uninstalling norton... nope didnt work either.....:)

will keep on searching...... thanks so much for your help....

Edited by Shantilly, 21 February 2009 - 07:31 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That's a shame :) Did you run the Norton removal tool? I'm really not sure why your Vista machine is only having issues with your home network, and no where else.

Could you please try setting up a Static IP for your Local Area Connection only.
*NOTE: When it asks you to do an ipconfig /all, you will need to run the that command on one of your machines that has a working Internet connection, not on the problematic laptop. Also, when they talk about "Name Servers", those are just the DNS Servers, so just write those details down.

Once you have a static IP set up for your wired connection, please try to connect to your router via an Ethernet cable and see if you can get an Internet connection and stay connected. Also, I would suggest a power-cycle just to ensure all of your equipment is in-sync.
  • Turn off all computers/devices that are connected to your router.
  • Unplug the power from your modem.
  • Unplug the power from your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Plug your modem's power back in; wait for your modem to boot up (this can take up to two minutes).
  • Plug your router's power back in; wait for your router to boot up (this can take up to two minutes).
  • Turn on your computers/devices.
Please also try disable the DHCP broadcast flag.

Finally, look in your Event Log for any DHCP or TCP/IP errors/warnings.
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type eventvwr and press the ENTER key
  • In the new window, expand Windows Logs and then select System -- this will display a list of all system events. Look for any errors and/or warnings (denoted by a red 'x' or a yellow '!'). If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.
I'm sorry that we haven't made any progress as of yet.

Edited by Dan, 21 February 2009 - 08:42 PM.

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks dan, for all your patience and trying to help.... i have 15 minutes before I have to leave to go pick up my daughter at the airport (2 hours away) and were having a snow storm. Its 10:10 here now, so I will begin working on this in the morning (your night I think)

Again just want to thank you for alllll your help. Lets hope this works!!

Have a great day!!

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Good morning dan...
here we go again. Power cycle was actually the very first thing I ever tried.

I finally have my daughters ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Briana-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-4E-8B-30-F5
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4823:157e:2cd2:7cb9%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.101(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : February-20-09 6:56:22 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : February-20-09 9:56:22 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-EC-D0-29-6B

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{4C47A21B-2676-45E4-92DC-475A5553D437}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{84E0B452-F33F-4358-A95A-A3749E4206CA}

when i am into my registry editor and trying to disable dhcp broadcast.... i have 3 interfaces, and not sure which one is the subkey that corresponds to my network adapter.
""Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}""

so i did this

Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value.
In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then press ENTER.
Right-click DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
one at a time, tried to connect, then went back in and deleted the new value, and tried the next one.

after trying all 3 one at a time, nothing worked.

I have tried to go into local area connections on the vista machine and change the settings in the ipv version 4, but my system wont respond???? i end up having to reboot computer every time....

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hm, I can honestly say I've never heard of a machine freezing when you setup a static IP; thanks for posting the ipconfig /all from the other machine. Just to be safe, I'm going to post the exact values you should be putting in:

Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the following values:
IP Address: 192.168.0.111
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Now select Use the following DNS Servers
DNS Servers: 192.168.0.1 (you can leave the second one blank)
Press OK.

If your machine still freezes, there should be a warning/error logged in the Event Log; did you check from my last post? It will hopefully let us know why your computer is freezing.

Thanks,
- Dan

Shantilly

Shantilly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Dan, thanks so much.. in the end we are going to find it was something so easy arent we.......
I did manage to get those settings changed under local area connection TCP/IPv4 properties

this is the most common warning...

Log Name: System
Source: b57nd60x
Date: 22/02/2009 3:26:18 PM
Event ID: 4
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: tanNgotravel-PC
Description:
Broadcom NetLink ™ Fast Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="b57nd60x" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32773">4</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-02-22T23:26:18.187Z" />
<EventRecordID>13266</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>tanNgotravel-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\NDMP3</Data>
<Data>Broadcom NetLink ™ Fast Ethernet</Data>
<Binary>00000000020030000000000004000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: System
Source: b57nd60x
Date: 22/02/2009 9:08:18 AM
Event ID: 4
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: tanNgotravel-PC
Description:
Broadcom NetLink ™ Fast Ethernet: The network link is down. Check to make sure the network cable is properly connected.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="b57nd60x" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32773">4</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-02-22T17:08:18.109Z" />
<EventRecordID>12462</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>tanNgotravel-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\NDMP4</Data>
<Data>Broadcom NetLink ™ Fast Ethernet</Data>
<Binary>00000000020030000000000004000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

again when daughter home i will sit down pc by pc and try and see what differences are, I did this earlier but only got so far.