Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cleaning registry of Jasc traces

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I had trouble uninstalling Dell Image Expert (uninstaller could not be found) and since it is missing from the Dell Tools cd (which should have all the programs that came preinstalled) I couldn't find a way to remove it.

Dell support told me to use "windows install clean-up" which should get rid of everything Image Expert. But even after running the tool I could still open the program, run it normally, etc. Nevertheless I followed the tech's advice anyway, and deleted the relevant folder from Program Files.

Now I'm left with a bunch of registry entries for Image Expert (created by Jasc) and Jasc Paint Shop (which also came preinstalled with the system). CCleaner removed some of the entries, but many remain.

So finally my question is this: Is it safe to delete all keys with "jasc" and "dell image expert" from the registry through regedit?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hi

Does they obstruct anything? Any weird adverse effects?
If no, then I would just let them be. Windows does a pretty
good job at bypassing reg.keyes not in use. And the space
they occupy is negible.

If you do go ahead and delete them, be sure to have a
backup of your registry. A fine tool for this, is Erunt.

Erunt: http://www.geekstogo...NT-t208859.html

Regards

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi Abydos,

Thanks for the prompt response!

There is a very weird issue that prompted me to try to uninstall anything by Jasc.

In my control panel, classic view shows all icons normally. But in category view, under "other control panel options" there is only one icon (Software Explorers). The other third party icons are missing (Java, Quicktime, SigmaTel Audio, etc). They are not in any other part of the control panel, and as 3rd party icons should appear in "other cp options."

After some research, I finally found someone with a similar situation:
at Bleeping Computer
and
at Elements Village

Unfortunately running the OneCare scan did not fix my issue as seems to be the case for one of the users. I was hoping that by removing the Jasc programs (all came preinstalled and had expired long since) I could fix my "other control panel options" problem.

If anyone knows a cure for the control panel, that would be much appreciated as well. :)

Abydos

Abydos

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Hmmm. I won't recommend any registry fixes, as I am non-tech staff on this site.
That I'll leave for those with proper permissions.

I can say tho, that when I view it on my system, I see 3 icons, and thats it. One for
java and two for Nvidia. Not sure if there are supposed to be more.

Regards