Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I Need help selecting hardware

• Please log in to reply

Thunder11

Thunder11

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am attempting to build a desktop computer for the first time. However, I am having some difficulty selecting the hardware. I intend on using the computer for 3D modeling and gaming. I have done some research and have selected these components (look below). I believe they are all compatible but am not entirely sure. Are they? Also, I am so lost on trying to choose a case and power supply. For the case do I need to get an ATX full tower or can these fit in a mid tower? How do I find this out? In addition, how do I make sure that it doesn't overheat? This is the most important thing to me; I don't care about fancy lights or a sleek look. How do I determine how many fans I need? For the power supply I chose a 1000W supply because I want to have room to add more RAM and another video card. Does this make sense or is this overkill?

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

DVD Drive:
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

Power Supply:
SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Memory:
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K2/4G - Retail

Motherboard:
Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model

Video Card:
HIS Hightech H487QT1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ 4+ Turbo Video Card

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. Thank you to anyone who took the time to sort through it all.
Thunder 11

Edited by Thunder11, 18 February 2009 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Thunder11, welcome to Geeks To Go!

What is your budget for this build? Will you still need an OS with this build?

For the power supply, I'd say an 850W should be fine but this will all depend on your budget. We can go with a nice 1000W for a cheap price but just make sure they're good quality (like Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, PC Power & Cooling, etc.).

How much is that 160GB hard drive? I'm sure you can get a nice 500GB+ for around $70-$100.

Can you list the prices for the components you pick? We can try and see if there's a better deal out there and probably a better components too.

Your list looks good however note that there's a new model of Intel processors that needs a completely new socket (LGA 1366) and this means a new motherboard. If in the future, you want to upgrade your CPU, you're out of luck as Intel will not make anymore LGA 775 compatible CPUs. You can get the new Intel Core i7 processor now or go the AMD route where you can upgrade your AMD processor to the new AM3 (in the future).

Kamille

Thunder11

Thunder11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My budget for the build is $1500. And, yes, I will need an operating system. I was told by some of the guys on my residence hall floor that windows is coming out with a new os: windows 7; but they will upgrade vista for free when it comes out (assuming you bought it recently). Is this true?

So 850W should be fine even if I add extra RAM and another graphics card?

Thanks for telling me about the new socket. Since I want to have the option of upgrading in the future this is very important. I went back to the intel website and only found one motherboard that supports LGA 1336. Is this right? I am not set on intel; I just am not as familiar with AMD. Are there any real differences between brands? Is one more reliable or expensive than the other? Is there one you prefer?

Here are the costs for everything as I found them on newegg.com:

Hard Drive:$42
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

DVD Drive: $18
LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM

Power Supply: $210
SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Memory: $74
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR1066D3N7K2/4G - Retail

Motherboard: $240
Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: $280
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model

Video Card: $262
HIS Hightech H487QT1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ 4+ Turbo Video Card

The 1336 LGA intel motherboad, Intel BOXDX48BT2 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard, was about $240 on newegg and the Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920, the only i7 processor that I could find in my league, was about $275

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi,

I was told by some of the guys on my residence hall floor that windows is coming out with a new os: windows 7; but they will upgrade vista for free when it comes out (assuming you bought it recently). Is this true?

As far as I know, those are rumours and Microsoft hasn't announce anything yet. See below:

Although the information does seem to make sense, Microsoft isn’t confirming nor denying any of it. "Microsoft often explores options with our partners to determine product offerings," the Microsoft spokesperson told Betanews. "We are not announcing anything new at this time."

So 850W should be fine even if I add extra RAM and another graphics card?

That should be enough.

Thanks for telling me about the new socket. Since I want to have the option of upgrading in the future this is very important. I went back to the intel website and only found one motherboard that supports LGA 1336. Is this right? I am not set on intel; I just am not as familiar with AMD. Are there any real differences between brands? Is one more reliable or expensive than the other? Is there one you prefer?

The difference would be in performance and price. I believe that the Core i7 processors perform better however they cost a bit more because you need DDR3 RAM. Here's a comparison between AMD Phenom II and Intel Core i7.

But with $1500, I'm sure you can get a Core i7 format with that.

For the case do I need to get an ATX full tower or can these fit in a mid tower? How do I find this out? In addition, how do I make sure that it doesn't overheat? This is the most important thing to me.

It's not always about the size of the case to make sure the components doesn't overheat. You just have to make sure that the temp inside the case is lower than the one outside (room temperature). So basically make sure you have enough exhaust fans that takes out the warm air inside the case. Since you're thinking of getting two of the ATI 4870, I suggest you get a big case, a full ATX case perhaps.

Here's my recommendation:
CoolerMaster HAF 932 - $169.99
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 - $288.99
HIS Hightech H487QT1GP Radeon HD 4870 1GB - $261.99 ($25 Mail in Rebate)
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB - $79.99
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - $24.99
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - $288.99
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit - $99.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W - $149.99 ($20 Mail in Rebate)
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $127.99

Total = $1,492.91

We can save more money by going with a different case, you can go with a Mid-size ATX case but I am unsure which one will be good for your Crossfire HD 4870.
You can also go with a lower capacity hard drive. The one you selected should be fine however you can also get this Western Digital 320GB drive for $54.99 if you really don't need a 640GB drive.

Hope that help.
Kamille

Thunder11

Thunder11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If I can save money buying an ATX mid tower I would love to do that. Is there any way that I can find out what ATX mid the Crossfire HD 4870 will fit in?

Also, for the RAM, if I buy 4G dual channel, can I simply add another 2G stick to get 6G?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Also, for the RAM, if I buy 4G dual channel, can I simply add another 2G stick to get 6G?

You can do that, it might come up the same price though so if you're going to get a 2x2GB and 1x2GB for cheap then go ahead but if not, this kit is better. Also mixing different types of RAM are usually not recommended as problems may arise.

If I can save money buying an ATX mid tower I would love to do that. Is there any way that I can find out what ATX mid the Crossfire HD 4870 will fit in?

Mostly the room you're going to have left for breathing room and room for the power supply cables. You want the air to circulate inside your case so make sure that there's plenty of room that will let air go from front to the back of the case.

Thunder11

Thunder11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Surely room is important, but is there a way to know before I buy a case?