Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook Express attachment saved ...but where?

• Please log in to reply

sayit

sayit

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello, I have a scenario here that might turn out to be a nightmare. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate the help.

One girl at work received an email through Outlook Express 6. The attachment that came with it (a spreadsheet) was worked

on. This person clicked the "Save" button and not the "Save As" button. My question is this. Is the work that she did on the

spreadsheet attachment gone forever or can we salvage or rescue it? Is it maybe somewhere in a temp folder? The email

and attachment in OE are in their original state with no apparent work reflected. Is there any hope?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Attachments are read-only so the file would have been opened and saved somewhere. Go back into Excel and the file should be on the recently used file list. Open it back up and save it back out somewhere else.

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks Neil for your reply. I did check that possibility out , but the results were negative.

What I think what happened was the girl never took the attachment out of the email. She probably

thought she did, but worked on the spreadsheet from inside OE6 and clicked the SAVE button. I don't

think that any input to the email gets saved in Outlook Express. If she opened the email and clicked

"Save As", she would have then saved the attachment into a specified folder and been able to work on

and save her spreadsheet properly. I was hoping that OE might have contained a temp file on the

work done...somewhere.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
While it is possible to open attachments directly from Outlook Express, if you do save the file it won't go back into Outlook Express so it must have been saved somewher if it was saved.

Most likely location is either C:\Windows\Temp or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp folder.

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks again Neil for getting back to me.

Tomorrow, I'll have another stab at it.

Thanks !

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Neil, I had another look on the PC, at all the temp folders and nooks and crannies, but no signs of the "saved" work.
It turns out to be a good experience to learn from !
Thanks.

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
One place you could look is the Temporary Internet files in the Content.IE5 subfolder.
It's superhidden and doesn't display in Windows Explorer but you can get into it by typing the address into any folders' address bar.
It should be C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 with user name being the account.
Or you can use the Disc Cleanup utility, Start>Programs>Accessories>Disc Cleanup>Highlight the Temporary Internet Files line>View Files button.
Be careful to not run the utility to actually clean the files, you just want to view them.

You may get a warning about unspecified security danger. You can ignore it as long as you don't go opening a bunch of files in there. Just find what you want and move it elsewhere.

Edited by Throoper, 20 February 2009 - 04:03 PM.

sayit

sayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry Throoper, I missed your comment until just now. I appreciate your input.
I had a look in that folder but couldn't come up with a positive id. for the missing
file. As it is, the spreadsheet was re-worked and completed properly.

Thanks

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
For future reference, anytime you open a file in OE (as opposed to save to disc) it gets stored in the Temporary Internet Files, usually in a subfolder of Content.IE5. If they don't get cleaned out often, it can be quite a job locating what you want, though.