Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frozen Bios

• Please log in to reply

varylou1

varylou1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i know not to turn it off, i just dont know what to enter/do so as to not junk motherboard. its an abit is-7 board with 3.2gb p4 and 4 @ 512 ram. its currently saying " Now Backup System Bios to file?" its an award/pheonix bios.

thank you,
louis

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the board's working fine, may I ask why you want to update the BIOS?

varylou1

varylou1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have had problems with my usb. everything i plug in says that i should be using usb 2.0 drivers. i have tried and tried from windows sp1... searched everywhere. checked the bios and it was outdated, so i tried to update. i saved the original bios but i cant get the computer to even beep. so not sure where to go from here.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
USB 2 support is usually an option in the BIOS which needed to have been on when Windows was originally installed.

If the board's now not working and you got it to a point where it went off to flash the BIOS it may now be toast, since a corrupt BIOS image loaded into a board effectively kills it.

How did you flash it? CD? Floppy?

varylou1

varylou1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
floppy. and the instructions i was reading told me to clear cmos in the command lines. i had second thoughts but wanted to follow the directions to a "T". It is a Abit IS7 mobo. 3.4 G p4, 2G Kingston ram. running xp pro.

thanks, louis

so, when i installed xp, i should have enabled usb 2 in the bios at that time?

Edited by varylou1, 22 February 2009 - 05:53 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
USB 2.0 is part of XP. Xp requires the proper service pack and update. On some boards (as Neil stated), needs to be turned on in bios.
If the board does not support the USB 2.0, then an adapter can be used.

The problem now is to get the board working. Generally a bad flash will make the board toast. You can try and flash the original back. I can't tell you the procedure because I will not flash bios because of this.

I have heard that you can purchase a new flash rom for a board.

varylou1

varylou1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i had enabled it in system startup bios, but it never showed up, when i would check the device manager.