Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I move files and apps from old to new computer?

• Please log in to reply

thorinhg

thorinhg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm about to get a new computer and was wondering if someone could tell me how to (or point me to a source which explains how to) transfer files and programs from one system to another to avoid having to reinstall browsers, games, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by thorinhg, 19 February 2009 - 12:04 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can't.
You cannot copy a bunch of program files from one computer to another and expect them to work. Small programs probably, things like Office, no.
You need to reinstall from the original CD(s).

dallace95

dallace95

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

There is some ways to get it done
If you want to transfer photos and things like that you can use a data disk (You can get them just about everywhere)

-
There is also a memory stick that culd help you transfer small programes...
You could attach programs to emails and send them back to yourself, for when you get onto your new system.
But I cant guarntee that will work.....
-

But If all else fails keep the instillation CD's with you just In case it dont work!

Hope this may have helped ...

:)