Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard stop working and mouse buttons reversed

• Please log in to reply

jack72

jack72

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a very weird problem. Once I turn my compter on, I can use it normally. (i.e. keyboard and mouse work fine) after sometime (can be anywhere from 10 min onward) the mouse button would reverse and the keyboard stops working.

It is very difficult to describe what happens but
In normal operations, my mouse has two buttons with a wheel in the middle. After startup, the left button would launch applications and the right button would act as the secondary button. So if I am at the desktop, the right button would launch the program if clicked or if I click the right button when at the desktop I would get the open menu popup or the properties screen for the application. I can move around my application in windows normally.
However, after a few minutes (or sometimes after a clean boot), the buttons on the mouse would reverse. The left button would open the popup menu when trying to launch applications and the right button is ineffective.

Also the keyboard would normally work. All keys would work as they should. However, after a few minutes (or sometimes after a clean boot), the keyboard would not work - only certain buttons. So if I am in word, the buttons would not type but may open some of the drop down menus at the top of the program bar (ie. file, view, edit, etc etc).

I have tried to disconect the usb cables of the devices and reboot. Sometimes this will fix the problem and other times I must reboot, discounnect the cables, several times before the problem fixes itself. I have also tried to change the devices usb ports around. (i.e. I have 8 usb slots on the computer, so I put some in the front and some in the back and many different combinations)

I have my mouse, keyboard, three different joystick devices and a head tracker device plug in the usb ports. Only the mouse and keyboard is affected this way.

I am running Windows xp, on Dell Vostro 410 computer, E8500 chip 750 watt power supply with 4 gig DDR ram and Gforce 512 mb 8800 GT graphic card.

Any help would be appreciated. The Dell people are clueless.

Edited by jack72, 19 February 2009 - 09:19 AM.

Advertisements