Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I get this laptop running Windows XP Professional to scan for

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Okay here's the situation, I installed Windows XP Professional onto this old Compaq Armada E500 laptop and I am having a [bleep] of a time connecting it wirelessly. I am trying to use this Xircom CreditCard Ethernet Adapter IIps that I found and I have already been able to install the required drivers and it shows up in the device manager without problems but what I have discovered is that this is a bare bones version of professional as the system does not search for wireless networks. This a problem as when I try to enter my wireless network's information it is only able to send packages but not receive any. I have done some searching on the net and all the solutions are to simply allow the connnection to automatically receive IP address. That does not work in my situation as it only says it has little to no connectivity. I also tried that wireless network wizard but that does not help as my wireless router, Linksys WRT54G has no usb ports to lug the flash drive in! I even tried that home network one and that had me running around in circles swapping discs back and forth getting nowhere fast.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What I believe you have is the hacked version of XP. This is a version that is installed with NO KEYS and IS NOT REGISTERED.
It is highly illegal and support for it is not allowed on this site.

Before the final word is given, a moderator or admin will have to look at this.