Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using multiple adapters for one connection

• Please log in to reply

sixstringchef

sixstringchef

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys,

I am currently out of town for work and will be for awhile. The place I am staying is basically a self-managed extended stay and the lone employee knows nothing about their wireless network and the owner seems permanently unavailable.

Anyway, I have extremely low,slow connectivity with my laptop wireless card(Broadcom 4321AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter). I also happen to have a couple other adapters with me(Belkin F5D8053 N USB & a NetGear WPN111 G-Mimo USB).

The netgear has it's own wireless assistant and of the three, it always seems to get the best connection. So I hook it up first and then the other two connect with my HP wireless assistant but when they do connect, it's for local only. I have no ethernet connection to bridge them.

I do get on via the netgear and can separately get on with all three. So there is no real emergency but the best I get no matter which order I enable them is two or three bars.

So, I guess my questions are,1- is this the normal scenario? 2- Are the "local only" connections helping me? 3-How do I get the best performance using the three adapters together on a public unsecured network being that is all I have available now and the fact that the so-called hotel management is no help?

As always, thanks for your time. This site rocks!

PS- I have traced their access points and there are no closer rooms available and not likely to be anytime soon so changing rooms is not an option at this point.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey sixstringchef and welcome to GTG :)

1- is this the normal scenario?

You should only have one wireless network adapter running at a time.

2- Are the "local only" connections helping me?

No, and they may be causing issues; having multiple wireless configuration services running at the same time can often lead to undefined behavior.

3-How do I get the best performance using the three adapters together on a public unsecured network being that is all I have available now and the fact that the so-called hotel management is no help?

That depends; are you receiving a low signal strength? I'm assuming so, since that seems to be why you're here. Since you aren't the owner of the network, it is difficult to boost your performance. A repeater/extender would help here, but I highly doubt they're going to be willing to help you out on that one. In your case, an external USB adapter would give you the best performance; if possible, getting an adapter that uses an external antenna would help a fair bit. Of course, this all costs money, which I'm guessing you don't really want to do, especially for a temporary issue.

What sort of signal strength are you getting to their network?

But to answer what I think your main question is: No, multiple adapters operating at the same time will not boost your performance. Choose the adapter that you receive the best signal/performance with, and run it on its own.

I know that's not really going to help you a whole lot, but perhaps another user may be able to provide you with a more useful response :)

- Dan

sixstringchef

sixstringchef

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I appreciate your advice. I am assuming just use the usb adapter and turn my internal card off? I will try that and see if there's a difference either way. I was under the impression that the usb adapter were meant to push a weak signal and that's why there is the option to bridge them. But with no ethernet that doesn't help. Oddly, it's the cheapest adapter I have-the netgear G-mimo that is giving me the best results.

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Oddly, it's the cheapest adapter I have-the netgear G-mimo that is giving me the best results.

Unfortunately more money doesn't always mean higher quality. It could also be that they are using a Netgear router; often same-brand devices work better together, although that's not always the case. There are USB booster adapters, but I'm not sure if what you have is one. Here's an example -- [HWU8DD] Hi-Gain™ USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter.

sixstringchef

sixstringchef

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
They actually have a linksys router and so I got a linksys usb adapter that was worthless. I gave it to one of my co-workers who had nothing which was about all it was better than! But the adapters are just as I described. The reccomendation I got was that the N-mimo were the best but the g one gets me between 2-3 bars. All others are averaging one-every once in awhile two.

I turned off my card and unplugged the Belkin and the netgear is still working the same-no difference. I will stick with it for now. I doubt I will find anything more sophisticated, as you described, around here anyway. Thanks