Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card question

• Please log in to reply

Ospreyluvr

Ospreyluvr

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am currently using a 512 mb PCI x16 Nvidia 8600 GT. I plan to upgrade, but would it be better for me to get a 9800GT, or SLI the 8600?

Edited by Ospreyluvr, 19 February 2009 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Ospreyluvr, welcome to Geeks To Go!

There is no 9900 card so do you mean you want to get a 9800GT? If so, yes, the 9800GT performs better than an SLI 8600GT. I'm sure you can find one around $120.

Kamille

Ospreyluvr

Ospreyluvr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the welcoming.

Yes, I meant the 9800GT(also just edited it, I edited once already and missed it!). So, buying the 9800GT is better than running SLI 8600GT? Thanks, man. BTW, in case anyone wonders, I only use Nvidia video cards. Always have, always will.

Ospreyluvr

Ospreyluvr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am also curios, does a MOBO require a PCI 2.0 x16 slot, or is that just a PCI x16, this is due to the fact that all 9800GT's are only 2.0. If this is the case, I was looking at this 9600GT: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500070 . Can anyone vouch for this card/chip?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
PCI-Express 2.0 cards will work in a PCI-Express x16 motherboard. Go for the 9800GT.

Ospreyluvr

Ospreyluvr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cool deal! Thanks a lot Troy!!!