Windows XP Home, 2002, SP2, Mozilla Firefox, Avast
3 days ago I turned on the computer to be alerted to a virus. I was not smart enough to find the virus name but here is what happened.
1. Ie was taken over and quickly filled the screen with over 50 open browser windows.
2. My desktop was taken over with a black screen and a WARNING NOTICE screaming that I have a virus.
3. I had minimal control over Mozilla
1. Smitfix and it took care of about 70% of the problems.
2. Downloaded and purchased RegCure. Ran it and started to get RUNDLL errors.
3. Downloaded and paid for STOPzilla which came with Shield Deluxe 2009V2. The Shield Deluxe said to remove all other anti-virus applications. I did as instructed..(I know..how stupid is this guy?)
4. Ran STOPzilla and Shield Deluxe. Now I have decent internet access but everything is very slow. Many of the screens in IE do not display the images (just the html box and title). Mozilla seems OK.
5. Now I can not update Windows. I went into services and tried to set the Automatic Update but get an error (ACCESS DENIED) and the BITS is set to manual, but when I try to start it I receive: "COULD NOT START THE BITS SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER. ERROR2: THE SYSTEM COULD NOT FIND THE SPECIFIED FILE.
Please help this helpless man...lol