Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Automatic Update will not activate

• Please log in to reply

pbel

pbel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You may have unknowingly introduced another problem.

Here is my experience with StopZilla.

Downloaded Trial version, bought it. It said it found a bunch of nasties.
Installed on a second system, noticed the same nasties.
Found that to be quite Odd.

Specifically- Agent.APP , CoolWebSearch, IE Schedule , Mirar Toolbar and Regifast Manager.

I looked at the files, most were .tmp's, couldn't see anything that would make StopZilla
think they were MalWare/Adware.

Sent the files to a Company I have done business with in the past.
They said there is nothing in the files that would cause any harm to my system.
They are false positives. This made me really suspicious. Started research on the Net.
Found one post said their system was all messed up, No internet connection etc..
I thought they were nuts, Untill !!!

Stopzilla still installed on my system, requested a refund per their 30 money back gaurantee. They did refund, Stopzilla said updates had expired. Makes sense, they shut off my account. Now is where the Havic Begins.

Uninstalled StopZilla, Couln't get to the Internet. Checked the network connection, it said it was connected. Looked in program files, StopZilla folder still there. Deleted it.
Ran Regedit, did a find on StopZilla, deleted every entry.

Rebooted the System, Now I can get back on the Net.
Installed Vipre. www.sunbelt-software.com (Nice product)
Ran a Full System Scan. It Found Spyware Preventer(SPP). I wonder where that came from.

My System has been fine ever since.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
pbel,isimaster and Gnomad1600

isimaster and Gnomad1600

We appreciate your eagerness to help.

According to the TOS. due to the difficulty and the potential harm removing malware can cause only approved GeeksToGo staff members can assist with removing malware.
If you would like to join and assist with fighting and removing malware you can see the following post.
http://www.geekstogo...ware-t4817.html

pbel,

If you have not already done so.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Not a problem tuxmaster, if you will read the earlier posts pbel has stated he has already been to the Malware forum and has returned here to repair issues related to Windows updates and Blue Screen errors.

pbel

pbel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I would like to thank you for your assistance. However, nothing went well. The more I tried to follow the directions, the worse things got on my PC. I finally reached a point where I said *&%*&(* and flattened the HD, reloaded windows and all my drivers and now I am back up and running. I purchased and installed Webroot Anti virus which I am being told includes maleware and spyware watch.
So, all in all, after over a week of tying up my entire days, it is finally finished.
As I said, thank you for all the tips.
I am thinking of going through the Malware class this site provides so that I can be better prepared if this happens again. I think I just tried too many things on my own before asking for help.
thanks again.
Paul