Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me out please :)

• Please log in to reply

P_Tear_Grifion

P_Tear_Grifion

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am thinking of buying a new CPU for the game EverQuest 2 I would like to be able to play in like High Quality which is very graphic heavy. These are the specs I am looking at.

Raidmax Sagitta II Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side-Panel Window

CS_FAN: Extra Case Cooling Fan with 2 extra fans

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit

CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer

FAN: Ultra ChillTec Thermo Electric CPU Cooler

HDD: Single Hard Drive (300GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache WD3000GLFS

MULTIVIEW: Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor

MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Asus Striker II Formula nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe X16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0,IEEE1394,&7.1Audio

MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader Or would Corsair or Major Brand cut it?

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 1,200 Watts Power Supplies (Thermaltake ToughPower 1,200 Watts Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)

SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) Or is NVIDIA GeForce GTX285 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA) better?

VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

WNC: PCI Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps Network Interface Card

The bolded stuff is what I need help with. I understand the GTX285 is better then the GTX 9800 but by how much. Cause the price difference is steep. And would the basic ram (Corsair or Major Brand ) work better then the one in the specs?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

What's your budget and where are you purchasing this from?

Troy

P_Tear_Grifion

P_Tear_Grifion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm buying from CyberPowerPC (I know some people say they suck but my bro got from there and its a good CPU) and the computer I have built has the GTX285's and it comes to 2444 which is a decent price for me. I really don't want to spend much more then that.

Oh and the ram I choose was Kingston Hyperx

Edited by P_Tear_Grifion, 22 February 2009 - 05:57 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You could probably build your own one better than that for cheaper, if you're interested. There's a sticky how-to you can follow to build.

Otherwise it looks pretty decent.