Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Asssociation

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Can someone explain how to do file associations. Have tried but am failing to do so successfully. Since somewhat of a novice I need step by step instructions. Thank you.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I assume you are trying to re-associate the file with the program that opens it.

Usually the process is to right click the file and choose from the menue "open with".
From that menu you choose either the program listed (suggested) or "choose program".
If you "choose program" you will get another screen with more choices. If the program you want is listed, then click on the appropriate program.

To always use that program, put a check mark in the box labeled "always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
If you are not sure of the program, you can leave it unchecked, see if it opens the way you want.

If it opens ok, do the process again but check the box.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yes, know and have been through this process. None of the programs I have will often open some files. Want to learn how to associate extn. with files via the path My Computer, Tools, Folder Option and then file types. It is here I 'mess up' trying to associate certain file extensions with correct programs etc.

Can advise here?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
can you say what extensions do you want to fix ?