Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I kinda need help with graphics crads. I have no idea how computers wo

• Please log in to reply

Avd011

Avd011

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I have no idea how graphics cards work or how to install or anything. I Just wanted to update or get a new graphics card to play some games like fallout 3.. kinda silly but I was looking at some other posts and I was thinking that a Nvidia geforce 8800 would be good. Im not really a hardcore PC gamer but I just want to upgrade my card anyways because I think its intergraded and from what I learned so far is that those suck..

Well these are my specs.

Processor
Type AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ / 2.6 GHz Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core 64-bit processor Yes Installed Qty 1.0 Max processors supported 1.0 Cache Memory
Type L2 cache Installed Size 1.0 MB Cache Per Processor 1 MB ( 2 x 512 KB ) Mainboard
Chipset type NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 Data bus speed 1000.0 MHz RAM
Installed Size 3.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max) Technology DDR2 SDRAM Memory specification compliance PC2-5300 RAM form factor DIMM 240-pin RAM configuration features 2 x 512 MB + 2 x 1 GB

So basicly im asking whats a good graphics card that will fit with my computer? At a decent price to, like around 100 bucks. Also. Where can I get it installed at? I was thinking best buy or something. Thxs.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi Avd011, welcome to Geeks To Go!

Video cards uses specific slots in the motherboard. For us to figure out what video card will suit your needs, we need to know what type of slot you have on your motherboard (i.e. PCI slots, AGP slots or PCI-Express slots). To figure this out, I need to know what motherboard you have. You can use a program called Everest and there should be a section there that will tell you the name and model of your motherboard.

Kamille

Avd011

Avd011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the welcome.

Well I did what you said and used that program but it says unknown. This is what it looks like under the motherboard section.

Motherboard
CPU Type Unknown, 2600 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 2944 MB
BIOS Type Award (04/04/07)

I know that probably wont help. But i know my cpu has a Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.

But do you think i should take it to like bestbuy or something to find out what i have and what upgrades i can get?

Avd011

Avd011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well I was doing some research and i found this if it will help any.

Graphics Card

The a6130n comes stock with an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE video processor. While Windows Vista may set aside as much as 623MB memory for graphics, the 6150 SE uses 128MB of shared video memory. These days, 128MB video memory doesn't scratch the 'wow' factor, but it is quite sufficient for basic applications, watching DVDs, etc.

If you want to have a better video card, the a6130n can be given an after-market upgrade with a PCI video card.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
That helps a bit, is this the computer model you have? If so, this one comes with a PCI-Express x16 slot and you can use a 8800GT or 9800GT (or get the lower model 9600GT if you're short in budget). Can you purchase online? Best Buy is so expensive so newegg or any other online retailer would be best for you.

Also, I have heard that the HP a6130n comes with a 250W power supply, if it does then this will not cut it and you will have to upgrade to at least a 400W power supply (make sure they're quality built ones from Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, etc.).

Installing a video card is really easy, make sure you follow the instructions provided (ensure you have the power cable connected to the video card) or you can go to some of those small computer shop and they will do it for you for a small fee, best buy would probably charge you quite some money for it.

Hope that helps.
Kamille