Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to uninstall/remove corrupted Windows XP Install

• Please log in to reply

lunacat

lunacat

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello, I tried to install Windows XP Home on my new hard drive. When I tried to install it, it hangs at 39 minutes and gives me the error:

An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from continuing.

Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

I kind of left it alone for a while and since then want to install Windows XP Pro. I tried to insert the Pro cd, but it wouldn't continue installation since it prepared installation from the Home cd. I've created boot disks with fdisk and format in order to just wipe the drives. However, the computer will not open the disk. I hear that it reads it but then doesn't load anything. I've used this same kind of disk for another PC and it works fine. I know the floppy drive on this pc works because when I tried to install Raid drivers previously, it read it.

I just want to remove the Win XP Home install so I can use my other Win XP Pro to install. Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Boot off the XP Pro CD and wipe the machine from there.

lunacat

lunacat

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Boot off the XP Pro CD and wipe the machine from there.

It won't boot from it, even if I select to start up from the CD-ROM first. It just loads the BIOS then Windows loads to the setup screen to the point where it ended last (the preparing installation), and then tries to resume from that point from the CD.