Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Have a pirated version of XP, want to make it genuine

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
A friend of mine has a computer that won't pass WGA validation. I've verified it does, in fact, contain a pirated version of Windows XP (Professional, pre-any service pack). I've told my friend that her only option to be able to update Windows is to obtain a legitimate version.

She agreed, but I'm trying to find the cheapest possible deal for her.

This is what I found: http://www.microcent...duct_id=0294716

It's labeled as "Microsoft OEM Windows XP Professional with SP3 System Builder Edition."

I'm not exactly sure what the terms "OEM" and "System Builder Edition" mean in this instance.

What I'd like to do is... take the product key that I will get with the above version and change the current product key so I won't have to do a re-install. Is this not possible? If not, can you provide another option?

thanks for any adivce,
mike

Advertisements

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
you a may be able to just buy the license from microsoft .

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

I'm not exactly sure what the terms "OEM" and "System Builder Edition" mean in this instance.

Hi Mike,

OEM I'm almost certain stands for Own Equipment Manufacturer and System Builder Edition are both nothing more that cheaper versions of Windows sold to manufacturers and builders of PC systems. Often these versions come as just a bare bones operating system without any other options eg: no recovery console. I may be slightly off with my version but its along those lines :)

As for your dilemma, why not just buy a legit copy of XP? You can get a genuine copy from Ebay now for a good price if you can live without all the unnecessary packaging :)

Chris

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here ..
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP3 ..$89.99 with free shipping

Edited by happyrock, 20 February 2009 - 05:10 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably go with HappyRock's suggestion, though I will need to buy the XP Professional version, which is more expensive, since that's what's already on the computer, and my intent is to just change the product key to a legal one instead of completely reinstalling. I hope that is possible.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

and my intent is to just change the product key to a legal one instead of completely reinstalling. I hope that is possible.

nope...

what do you need pro for...exactly...
when you get the xp home cd you just boot from it and format the partition/drive and install it...doesn't mater what was there before...

Edited by happyrock, 20 February 2009 - 05:16 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
She doesn't NEED Pro specifically. But since Pro is already on there and I'm trying to make it legal without a format and reinstall--I just want to change the product key, if possible--I figure it should be a Pro CD that is purchased.

I found an application on Microsoft's website called "Windows Product Key Update Tool." I'm hoping that will do the trick.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
let us know how it works out...

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
The "Windows Product Key Update Tool" didn't work. It wouldn't let me update the key. But I did some searching on the web and found a registry edit trick to allow me to change the product key. I did, and Windows validates now and lets me install updates. So I was able to get this fixed without a reinstall. Thanks for all the advice guys!