Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SCSI not installed...about to uninstall my BRAIN

• Please log in to reply

Too Stupid 4 This

Too Stupid 4 This

• Pip
  • 6 posts
java script:add_smilie(":)","smid_24")Ok, so I started playing with an old Dell PowerEdge 2300 at work. We need to have a very basic FTP server for clients to send files to, and this is an entirely different thread!

Had Win NT on it, had NEVER been online until I got a hold of it! Ran all the updates and SPs etc, etc, etc. Then realized I couldn't find a remote desktop software that would work with NT, Macs apparently didn't like to connect to the FTP, etc, etc, etc. Well I have a copy of Server 2003, so I was going to install that, CD Drive won't work... Wrote and iso, and ran install from the drive (this worked fine), but it installed it on the E: partition of the drive.java script:add_smilie(":)","smid_42") I wanted it on C:. So I tried, a couple of things, copied entire contents of C to a folder on E (back up!!). Then looked at the partition, it was too small to fit '03 on it. Couldn't figure out how to add a couple hundred MB to the partition, so gave up. Did a re-boot and this is the results of that:

When Powered up it give all the Dell Info, gives me the options of the CTRL-ALT-ENTER and CTRL-ALT-F10,
Runs an extended memory check,
Initializes Firware and checks the 15 SCSI
Spins the drives
finds 1 logical drive found on the host adapter
1 logical drive handled by BIOS
AIC 7890
No SCSI Boot Device FOund
SCSI BIOS Not Installed
AIC-7860
SCSI ID: 5 NEC CD-ROM Drive: 466
SCSI ID: 6 Archive Python 04106-xxx
SCSI BIOS Not Installed
then it beeps once and sits there.....

HELP!!!java script:add_smilie(":)","smid_22") is there anyway to get this thing to boot again? I finished the Server '03 install yesterday and did a couple of reboots with out an issue, then I tried with the creativity and now I got a paperweight.

Not sure what else anyone would need, but would be happy to provide anything asked for!

Advertisements

Too Stupid 4 This

Too Stupid 4 This

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
UPDATE!!! So I was able to create a DOS boot disk on Floppy, and can get command prompt. The C: drive is virtually empty, but Windows was installed on the E: drive. I can not get to that?

Not sure if I mentioned that the CD Drive will not work? Not sure why, but in DOS prompt I can see A: (The floppy drive), C: empty 1.5GB hard drive partition and B: (I think this is my SCSI Tape drive).

I want to see and use the F: (CD) Drive, any suggestions on how to get this to work? it wouldn't work in NT, 2003 or anything. I could right click the drive in Windows and eject it, but couldn't make it read, or even get the lights to come on for that matter.

THanks

Too Stupid 4 This

Too Stupid 4 This

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am fine with just doing a clean install, however CD-Rom is SCSI won't boot to it.

When I created a DOS-boot disk I can see the A: and C: drives. I need to be able to get to either the E: drive which is where Win Server 03 was installed, or the F: CD-Rom, I went through the entire alphabet trying to find any other drives, no luck. How can I get to see either my CD drive or the other partition of the hard drive?

Is there not ANYONE who has some helpful suggestions on this?

Also, I'm running a 3 drive RAID 5 setup in this, I can get into the configs for this, am fine with formatting all 3 and going with a complete fresh start. However, I'm afraid to do this with the RAID setup, I'm pretty unfamiliar with this, any stupid proof guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Too Stupid 4 This

Too Stupid 4 This

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so I finally got this thing fixed, no telling what caused the problems? look here http://www.computing...scsi/55151.html for some other suggestions that I received.