Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Discs mixed up

• Please log in to reply

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Best start at the beginning.......

Had a few problems with XP of late. Not sure what exactly but I was convinced XP had become a little bit unstable and decided to do a fresh install.

Backed up all the important stuff to an external and away we went.

Loaded my XP disc and went through the loading files stages. Then selected to install XP, pressed enter and got the available partitions to choose from. It was at this stage I noticed that Windows was seeing my internal slave drive as my local disc and my local disc as a slave. I assumed this was just a minor mistake (I wish) on the part of windows and selected the drive that I knew to be my local and installed XP to it.

Heres the thing, since then my OS is installed to the correct disc but Windows see's my local disc a D: and my internal slave as C:

How the heck can I change them back as as far as I know Windows wont let me make changes to a disc holding a system volume???

Edit: Jumper settings are all correct.

Cheers, Chris

Edited by Mighty Boosh, 20 February 2009 - 04:06 PM.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
This is why they ALWAYS recommend that you only have ONE drive plugged in while installing windows. Unfortunately, this will require a reinstall. The reason being, a large amount of the registry now references your D:\ drive. So this time, unplug your slave (just the power) and reinstall Windows. This will force windows to make that drive the C: drive. Once windows is fully installed, plug the other drive in and your lettering should be fine.

Mighty Boosh

Mighty Boosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

This is why they ALWAYS recommend that you only have ONE drive plugged in while installing windows. Unfortunately, this will require a reinstall. The reason being, a large amount of the registry now references your D:\ drive. So this time, unplug your slave (just the power) and reinstall Windows. This will force windows to make that drive the C: drive. Once windows is fully installed, plug the other drive in and your lettering should be fine.

Thanks for that Pedro :)

This is exactly what I had to do in the end, I had an idea it was going to go this way :)

I did a fresh install and disconnected my slave and as a precaution my two externals. Anyway, alls well now :)