Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAPITALS in Outlook 2000

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
When I am writing an e-mail in Outlook 2000 every line starts out with a capital letter.
If I go to the beginning of the line and indent the line one space I can change it to lower case
but I would rather not have to do that. Any ideas?

Advertisements

TDTT

TDTT

• Pip
  • 5 posts
richocki,

What possibly may be happening is that you are getting to where you "think" or "want" to start a new line and you are hitting the enter key which tells your computer that you are starting a new sentence and wants to capitalize it.

Dont hit the enter key (carriage return) and let your typing wrap naturally. If you want to start a new paragraph that is when you will want to hit the enter key.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
That's it TDTT. Is there anyway to get around that happening. I usually like to
make my e-mails sentences shorter - not go to the end of the page. I believe OUTLOOK EXPRESS
and THUNDERBIRD allows you to do that but I have been using OUTLOOK lately.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
richocki, why don't you just let Outlook do it for you? It uses Word as the editor - would you hit enter in Word anyplace where you felt the line should end? You're not scrolling past the side of the screen, so it's really simpler just to let it autowrap.

TDTT

TDTT

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Unfortunately I dont think so, But are you using your outlook to send marketing types of emails thus following good copywriting (sp) rules of char limit per line?

If so I would recommend you get an autoresponder that allows you to send emails with whatever width you prefer.

If you are just doing this because it is a pref and you like the way it looks.. there is an option you should check. Go to Tools>Options>Spelling Tab>auto correct options and uncheck the box that says "Capitalize the first letter of sentences". That "should" work.

Let me know. :)

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
I stopped using WORD as the e-mail editor. I do not have the option you stated (Tools>Options>Spelling Tab>)
in Outlook or Word. Is there a good reason I should use Word and not the Outlook editor for e-mails?

Sari your right in saying I should just let Word handle things and type to the end of the line but I guess it's one of those old habits being hard to break. I'll give it a go though.

But if some one could briefly tell me the pros and cons of using Outlook for e-mails or using Word as the editor.
Thanks all for the replies

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

But if some one could briefly tell me the pros and cons of using Outlook for e-mails or using Word as the editor.

the spell checker is much more robust when you use word as your mail editor...it will autocorrect spelling as you type etc... where as the outlook mail editor will only spell check when you send... the outlook mail editor also doesn't do grammar correction.... however...if you've got any fancy HTML signatures that you use...word will almost always ruin them

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
OK, thanks. I guess the grammer checker alone is good reason to use Word. Thank you.