Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP background intelligent transfer service help

• Please log in to reply

zhanger10

zhanger10

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm trying to download Google Earth, and when I open the Google Updater, It tells me that my background intelligent transfer service has not started properly, so I looked at it under services, and I try to turn it on but it gives me an error 2 "file cannot be found" can you please help?

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Open services.msc and double click on the BITS service, when the properties Window comes up what does it say for the "Path to Executable"?

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
%fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
First step is to back up the Registry. For what we are going to do creasting a system restore point will work. Next you will need to open the Registry Editor. Hold the Windows key and press R, when the Run box opens type in regedit and hit Enter. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS , in the right Window pane look for Imagepath. In the data column it should have the %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs , doubleclick on Imagepath and change it to %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs. It is exactly the same except change the f to an S Hit Okay, while you are in regedit, check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002 for the same settings. Exit regedit and go back to services.msc and check for other "Path to Executable" errors that say the same thing. You will need to make changes to any others that have the %fystemRoot%\system32 error.
If you get an error that says the administrator has disabled registry editing you can download this tool to correct it.

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
After I made the change to %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, when I hit ok, I get the message "Cannot edit ImagePath: Error writing the value's new contents"

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Did you download the tool I linked you to in the previous post?

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
When I clicked on the download link, a bunch of codes show up in the page, I don't know how to download it, am I suppose to copy and paste those codes into wordpad and save that as a file?

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
When you clicked on the link did you choose to save the file or open it? You need to save it and then doubleclick to run it.

Edited by Gnomad1600, 21 February 2009 - 02:38 PM.

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
No options pop up when I click on the link, its just a blank page with a bunch of codes

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
What browser are you using? You should also head over to the malware forum and have them help you with malware removal. The problem you are having is caused by spyware and/or viruses.

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm currently using Mozilla Firefox v3, and the people in the malware forum told me to come here to get it fix.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Sorry I did not know that you already cleaned the malware from your PC. I am also using Firefox and the link opens OK for me. Copy the text below and paste it into notepad, then save it to your desktop as regtools.vbs then doubleclick on the script file and let it run.

'Enable/Disable Registry Editing tools
'© Doug Knox - rev 12/06/99

Option Explicit

'Declare variables
Dim WSHShell, n, MyBox, p, t, mustboot, errnum, vers
Dim enab, disab, jobfunc, itemtype

Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
p = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\"
p = p & "DisableRegistryTools"
itemtype = "REG_DWORD"
mustboot = "Log off and back on, or restart your pc to" & vbCR & "effect the changes"
enab = "ENABLED"
disab = "DISABLED"
jobfunc = "Registry Editing Tools are now "

'This section tries to read the registry key value. If not present an
'error is generated. Normal error return should be 0 if value is
'present
t = "Confirmation"
Err.Clear
On Error Resume Next
n = WSHShell.RegRead (p)
On Error Goto 0
errnum = Err.Number

if errnum <> 0 then
'Create the registry key value for DisableRegistryTools with value 0
WSHShell.RegWrite p, 0, itemtype
End If

'If the key is present, or was created, it is toggled
'Confirmations can be disabled by commenting out
'the two MyBox lines below

If n = 0 Then
n = 1
WSHShell.RegWrite p, n, itemtype
Mybox = MsgBox(jobfunc & disab & vbCR & mustboot, 4096, t)
ElseIf n = 1 then
n = 0
WSHShell.RegWrite p, n, itemtype
Mybox = MsgBox(jobfunc & enab & vbCR & mustboot, 4096, t)
End If

zhanger10

zhanger10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for your help, I'm now able to install Google Earth!

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You are welcome!! I'm sure you would have found that anything that required Automatic Updates would not have worked either.

Edited by Gnomad1600, 21 February 2009 - 08:04 PM.