Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

boot error, asking to put cd/dvd to boot

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I opened our desktop computer earlier and it had a boot error, asking me to put cd/dvd to boot from it. I put my XP CD in, it asked me to either setup, go to recovery console or cancel. I didn't know what to do so I canceled it. I removed the XP from the CD drive and tried to boot from the hard drive again, it went in.

Anyway, my question is what do I do now to just make sure it doesn't happen again? Do I need to reinstall or check my C: drive for errors or something? Hope someone can shed some light into what just happened. Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by paysismom, 20 February 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

2. Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.