Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe - application error (0xc0000142)

• Please log in to reply

limejuize

limejuize

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Last night I had a virus, my Norton took care of it and rebooted my laptop computer.

The problem is when my computer rebooted I received this message:
Explorer.Exe - Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

When my computer started it only shows my background, the start menu, taskbar, and my icons don't appear. The only thing that works is the windows task manager. I can get programs to run but only if I do it through the tast manager. I have Windows XP 2003.

I have already tired to do a system restore, but the problem continues. I ran my Norton again and it doesn't show any virus or spyware. I have no clue what to do next and I would like for my computer to run like normal. Any help provided will be greatly appreciated.

Please take into account that I am not computer savvy, so make sure any solutions you provide will need to be dummy worthy. Also make sure any questions you ask me are clear. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).