Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help, I just built my first computer, and it is seeming rather unsucce

• Please log in to reply

mcveyla

mcveyla

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just built my first computer, and everything seems to be getting power except keyboard, mouse, and monitor. When it turns on, everything seems to have power. All of the fans work, all of the lights come on, and it gives me one beep. But the mouse I have connected is a corded optical mouse, and the light isn't on. When the monitor isn't connected, it says "check cables", but once I plug it in, I have a black screen with nothing on it. I just went by the manual, so I have no clue what I'm doing to be completely honest. I would plug in my video card, and see if the monitor would run off of it, but I can't install the drivers, because I can't even get anything on the screen. I have the vista os cd in the dvd rom right now too. Pelase help me.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Depending on the bios, the POST (power on self test) will give a beep code. Usually, but not always, a single beep means bios is ok.

What is the manufacturer of the mother board? With this we can look at the beep codes.
You mentioned a video card. Do you also have on board video (on the board)?

Can you get into setup? to check the boot up sequence?
This is usually del, F2, esc ?
You need to boot from the DVD to install the OS

BEEP CODES