Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No internet after system recovery

• Please log in to reply

nicoalexa

nicoalexa

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I have a Gateway laptop running Windows XP and I did a destructive full system restore the other day using the system recovery disk that came with my computer. Windows came back fine except that I am unable to establish any kind of internet connection. First I tried to look for our wireless network but when I went into the Network Connections folder, the Wireless Network Connection icon had disappeared. I then hooked up the computer to the modem and tried to repair the LAN/High Speed Internet Connection but that isn't working either. I've reformatted the hard drive on my Dells a few times and have never had this problem...anybody know what's going on? I really appreciate the help. Thanks :)

Also I checked the device drivers that are not installed and these are the ones that are missing:
Ethernet controller
Mass storage controller
multimedia audio controller
network controller
PCI modem
video controller
video controller (VGA compatible)

i have all the cds that came with the computer and don't see anything that would have these drivers.

Edited by nicoalexa, 21 February 2009 - 12:18 PM.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello nicoalexa,

It possible that you need to install the Drivers for your system.

Click Start > Run > type devmgmt.msc

When Device Manager opens look for "Other Devices" these are the Drivers that you need to install.

If you don't have a Drivers CD then you can download them from the manufacturer website and then transfer

them to the Gateway.

nicoalexa

nicoalexa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks. Trying it now.

nicoalexa

nicoalexa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well I was able to get all of my drivers back using the Gateway website except the two I'm assuming I need for the internet...the Network Controller and Ethernet Controller. I'm lost without my internet :) Anything else I can do???

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
What is the model number of the Gateway?

nicoalexa

nicoalexa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well when I gave tech support my serial number (N625801013518) they told me my model was a 3520GZ, but on the bottom of my notebook it says the model number is a M250X-3401842...don't know if this is the same or not.

nicoalexa

nicoalexa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Got em. Thanks.

yintaodabi

yintaodabi

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
why not repair your network.
Or you can creat a network

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This topic is 9 months old and as of the last post from the OP on Feb 22nd the issue seems to have been resolved.
While your suggestion is valid you should offer more information or detailed steps when suggesting a fix.