Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX 280 Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

BeerRun

BeerRun

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm replacing my 7950GX2 with a GTX 280 Graphics Card. My question is my power supply is a 600w Enermax which has two 6 pin PCI express cables and no 8 pin cable. I've read in some forums that you can use just the two 6 pin cables to power the card but You may find that NVIDIA-based software overclocking is disabled with two 6-pin auxiliary power connections (as opposed to one 6- and one 8-pin) but the card will operate in a normal capacity otherwise. Is this true and safe?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Is this true and safe?

A question such as this shouldn't be posed to a forum. You should be asking the manufacture of the vid card. If someone here were to give you incorrect infomation and your card got damaged... then what?

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
System Requirements Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 40 Amp Amps.)

An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector and an available 8 pin PCI-E power connector
Power Connector 6 pin / 8 pin

thats in the system requirements. I wouldn't listen to those other guys, and get a power supply, that has a 6 and a 8 pin connector. You are gonna spend that much and ur graphics card, why risk something like, that and it could break the card and not be covered by warranty. Just spend a bit more money on a better psu

BeerRun

BeerRun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well I didn't buy the Card my system was made by Velcity Micro and is still under warrenty. They just forgot to send the cables with it. That convert two 6 pin PCI express cables into one 8 pin, and two molex connectors into a 6 pin PCI Express. But since the last two pins on the 8 pin PCI cable are ground. I really dont want to use the molex to power my Video card.
I found a 6 to 8 pin PCI Express adapter that I think that will do a much better job than the molex adapters. Since then I would just be using my two 6 pin PCI Express cables to power up my card. So then I can use my 6 pin to 6 pin and the convert the other 6 pin to and 8 by adding the xtra ground wires.
Here the link to the cable in case anyone else ever needs to find one 6 pin PCI Express to 8 pin PCI Express 2.0 adapter