Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG, Avast Crashing system

• Please log in to reply

redlion

redlion

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Running XP-New installation after initial crash a few days ago. So far have loaded MS updates up to Service Pak 2.

Loaded AVG....and my system crashed AGAIN. Did a system restore prior to the loading AVG and was able to come back just fine. Same problem with AVAST.

I use the FireFox browser- Add-ons---FlashBlock and NoScript also.

Now what? Any suggestions?

Thank You!!!!

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You cant install more than one anti-virus program on a PC. Remove Avast or AVG and it should fix your problem

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
In case you're NOT running two AV programs at the same time, please explain what exactly you mean by "crash".

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry....I was typing as my system was crashing...and no, I was not running them both at the same time.

Back in December I was running a scan and my system crashed. To the point of my having to reinstall XP.

Then on Feb. 18 I was running a scan with Avast and my system crashed...to the point of having to reinstall XP again. When I was able to....I came back up and loaded AVG.

This system was not even 2 hours old...and during the scan...it crashed again....4 more times. Now admittedly I was not smart when reinstalling as I was on my own and really am not that knowledgeable. My hard drive was crowded up with so much junk that I literally had 2/3 of it taken up with unusable and non-accessible stuff. It took me 2 days.......but now I have completely reformatted my Hard Drive.

I had been following the "How did I get infected in the first place" thread on this site. Having been burned that many times....but now with a clean system-

I seriously need some advice as to what experts think I should be using on this clean computer. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Navigate to: C:\Windows\Minidump folder.
If you see any .dmp files, zip all of them, and attach zipped file to your next reply.

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Did a search for that file...it took an hour and half...sorry. No such file.

But thank you for answering. I think the driver thing is my issue for the computer being so slow.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What do you mean by hour and a half?
All you had to do was to go to indicated folder: C:\Windows\Minidump

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I tried. I first tried to run the file...I could not find it, so I did a search. My computer is running crazy slow right now...so the search for the file took an hour and a half. It did not find anything.

Yesterday I had to reformat the whole hard drive and reinstall XP. This hard drive is only about a day old. Only 3 sites that I have been on-this one, Dell, Microsoft.

I tried wildcarding- *.dmp-still nothing.

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay...I did find a file %SystemRoot%\Minidump which was listed under System Properties/Starup and Recovery. under the "Write debugging information" shows....Small memory dump (64 KB) and then is listed under Small dump directory:

%SystemRoot%\Minidump still can't find the actual file itself.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you reformatted and installed correctly, and if the computer failed so quickly then this is probably a hrdware problem. Can be overheating of the cpu, faulty hard disk, ram, motherboard, the lot. To start with please do the following tests. (Links to the programs are in my list below).

Reset the BIOS. Disconnect the power cord, open the box and carefully remove the cmos battery. Leaver it out for 10 minutes, reinstall and reboot. If you know how to do this by moving the reset jumper it will save you few minutes. You will have to set time and date upon first reboot.

Open the computer and blow the dust out. Use compressed air from a can that can be bought in any computer supply store. Most important is to clean the heat sink below the CPU cooling fan.

Download Everest and install it. Click on Computer and then on Sensor. Read the temperatures of the motherboard, cpu and hard disk.

Download memtest86, create a bootable CD and run a memory test at least for an hour. There should be no errors.

If your computer is IDE (use a broad flat cable to transfer data) go to Device Manager > IDE/ATAPI. Right click Primary IDE channel and uninstall the driver. Repeat the same for Secondary IDE channel. Reboot and see if there is any diffetrence.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
To All

redlion has multiple posts going. I myself am having a hard time figuring out which 1 to reply to.
The one I am working on is his slow computer.
He has an old 98 that he upgraded to XP.

This is the link I have been dealing with.
http://www.geekstogo...ry-t229813.html

So with so many post, it is very very difficult to help this person.

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Actually...I thought one of your mods shut all of them down. I do actually have 2 major problems.

#1. After the six crashes-I reformatted the hard drive....and that is where the slowness problem is an issue.

I just opened my computer and cleaned out about a pound of dirt. Ouch. Still slow...but not making the winding grinding noises.

The rest of that suggestions is way beyond my capacity--I will have to wait 3 weeks till I have enough money but I think I will pay someone to try and figure the slowness problem down.

#2. Which is the other thread...is the reason for my crashes. the first 4 involved loading security...firewall, anti-spyware, and malware...following the "How did I get infected in the first place thread". I was able to load programs...but upon running the 1 spyware scan...the computer crashes.

The 2 are now intertwined....because of the slowness issue. I was able to load only SpywareBlaster successfully. Sunbelt is...uninstalling even though it says it is installed.

I cannot download Service Pak 2....or any other Updates...they stall half way through.

At this point.....I might try reinstalling XP Pro again over this one to see if this helps any of my issues......

Honestly....I do not know what the heck to do.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

redlion has multiple posts going. I myself am having a hard time figuring out which 1 to reply to.

In this case, I'm gonna shut up until all info is in one thread.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Good advice!
Ditto for me 2.

redlion

redlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
You know what????

Never mind to any of this. Thank you all for your help...but I am so stressed out over all of this, and I hate being made out like I am some kind of swindler because I have 2 posts going. From being blocked from posting before you even asked or answered any questions....to the insults, I am done.

I would hope that next time you do not judge someone before you automatically decide to not help.