Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop battery and boot problem

• Please log in to reply

jdzcool

jdzcool

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am looking at a friends laptop that has some serious issues. It is a Dell Lattitude D600 with windows xp pro. When I attach the power adapter to the laptop, the battery light flashes green once, the flashes orange multiple times. it repeats this as ling as the adapter is connected to the computer. When I hit the power button to turn on the system, I get the lights come on for about two seconds then they go out and the laptop does not even power up. When i try to turn it on i get no sound of the computer starting, no fans or anything. I dont know how to even try to troubleshoot this.
I thought that even if the battery was dead, that if i had it hooked up to the power cord, then that would provide sufficient power to the computer to run it. Is this correct, and how would you go about troubleshooting this. I know, the battery is toast, but the computer has other problems that i was going to look at. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
This sounds like a power circuitry failure to me. Meaning the circuitry that takes the input voltage (whether it be 12, 15, 19V etc.) and outputs it at the various voltages needed for the system and for charging the battery (including monitoring how full/empty the battery is and turning the charger on and off when needed).