Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please Help! I need to restore but can't find restore points.

• Please log in to reply

jferguson80

jferguson80

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I got this new computer, a Dell with Windows XP Pro (maybe?). Anyways, I was looking for Windows Movie Maker and I couldn't find it.. so I found an old c.d. that I had from my last computer.. it was a re-installation c.d. for Windows XP Professional. I loaded the disk and chose to selectively install the Accessories component of that operating system because that is where Movie Maker is.. as I'm told. So it did it's reboot and when through this crazy long re-installation process. When it was done.. yes, I had movie maker.. but everything else is jacked up and I want it back to the way it was. Now it seems as if my graphics suck.. my internet explorer icon, and I think a few others, are missing. And it seems like I'm zoomed in on everything.. nothing fits my screen without scrolling side to side. I went to system restore to change it back to the way it was but there is only one point where I can restore to.. and that's today AFTER I jacked it up. I bought the computer in December.. and the settings for restore are on to automatically restore. How come there aren't any other points to restore to? And is there another way to undo what I did? I don't have a disk for this operating system on this computer. I bought this computer off of Ebay and it came with an application/drivers/manuals CD but there are warning all over it not to use it because it voids your warranty.. I popped it into the drive to see what's on there and I don't see any kind of a re-installation of XP. I'm totally computer ignorant.. and I would soooooooo appreciate some help and feedback. I really want to fix my computer to where it was. I don't give a rats about movie maker now.

Thanks so much!!!
Jessica Ferguson

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.
The restore function is normally turned on. It will create restore points at the time of system changes or when you want to make one.
The restore would be turned off by the owner to clear them from a virus or malware. The restore function will not turn off and on by itself. It can be affected by virus or malware.

I can also tell you that windows movie maker comes installed on the XP or Vista system. It is not in add/remove. It can usually be found in start/ programs/ accessories. If not there then you need to go to the program folder and look for "movie maker" folder and click on the executable.
The movie maker in XP is different than in Vista.

Can you give us the model of the Dell unit. There might be a recovery partition on the hard drive. The recovery partition will bring you back to day 1 of the unit. Since you have no restore points, I do not believe there is much you can do.

A thought, Have you tried "last known good configuration". You get to this from safe mode (F8 during boot up).
I don't think this will work though.

jferguson80

jferguson80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much for the help! I tried the reboot to the last good config and it came back the same. It sucks to hear that I probably already had Movie Maker on the other version =( .. so I have a Dell Optiplex GX280. I bought it refurbished but it's worked great until now. I would be thrilled with any more suggestions or ideas.. so what's plan b, c, d ?? If all else fails what can I do to fix it?

Thanks again!

jferguson80

jferguson80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay.. so I've given up on restoring.. and I've kind of figured a few things out.. somehow I reverted my system back to an old version of windows xp.. half of the programs on my computer won't open because they say they require xp service pack 2 to open. So I went online to find an xp sp2 download.. I've tried several different downloads and when I go to install them I get some error.. I can't remember exactly what it was.. some version was missing or something.. so I looked that error up on microsoft's website and it suggested that when that error occurs that I must download the full file version of xp sp2?? I can't seem to find that. When I search for full file versions of xp sp2 they only for networks with multiple computers.. any ideas??

Thanks soooooo much! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jessica

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
Have you tried http://<span style='...'bbc'></strong>

Mr.steve99

Mr.steve99

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
About your screen, have you gone into control panel then to apperance and themes, then to display then to settings, then on advance and look at what is the screen size?