Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-ROM Drive

• Please log in to reply

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I have a Dell Dimension T500 running Windows 98.

I thought the CR-ROM drive was defective because when I clicked on the D: drive (which is the drive for the CD-ROM reader) in Windows Explorer I get an error message that D: is not accessible and then the eror message underneath reads "the device is not ready."

I switched CD-ROM drives and put an identical one back in and I get the same message.

I thought maybe I mixed up the jumpers - when I configured it as a "slave" windows didn't even see the drive- when I put it back to CS (cable select), it showed up in windows. Then when I clicked on it I get the error meassge that the device is not ready.

I want to be able to use the CD-ROM so I can upgrade this machine to XP.

I suspect the original drive that I took out was working properly. In both drives' cases, when I hit the button on the front to open the drive, the drawer won't slide open. I get a buzzing sound and the device's yellow monitor light lights up but the drawer does not open.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The fact that the drawers won't open generally indicates the drives are bad.

You stated you want to upgrade to XP. Have you given any thought that the computer is possibly to old to accept XP?

Check out the requirements located HERE
Keep in mind that the 64/ 128mb ram is really to low, and same for the processor if you want to do anything.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
It has enough expansion capability to upgrade to XP.

I want to upgrade it and then give it to a family who needs a computer - temporarily until I can get a better unit to give them.

I just swapped in another disk drive and the same thing happpens.

But if you don't think I ought to upgrade this one, I'll just forget that solution and search for another unit for these people.

Everything about this DEll works fine (except the drawer opening) but Internet would be too slow with Windows 98. But it might just come to that.

Thanks for your suggestion.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Have you looked in the bios to see if the cd drives are being seen?
I would suspect the data cable and power to be on tight because you swapped a drive out.

Check the data cable to see if it is on correct. There is usually a notch to indicate direction, but I have seen older units and cables that do not have the notches for alignment.
Pin 1 is the colored side of the cable.

I believe there is a device manager in 98 (its been a while, and I can't get to my 98 unit to verify). If so, have you tried to uninstall and re-install?
Have you tried replacing the ide cable?

As to upgrading to XP. It was just a warning that it will most likely be slow and if you are ok with that then go for it (after the cd drive is fixed because you need that).

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Those are good suggestions. Thanks.

You can consider this subject closed as far as I am concerned.

Thanks.