Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DAT file?

• Please log in to reply

southwest34

southwest34

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I reinstalled Windows XP on my system today after reformatting my hard drive. Prior to the install, I backed up all of my documents and used the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. The wizard created a .DAT file which I placed on my external hard drive so I can transfer it back when I reinstalled Windows. When I tried to reinstall my settings, emails, bookmarks, etc. from the .DAT file,I get an error message saying "Your migration store was created with a previous version of Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Please collect your settings using the current version of the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard...." etc.

What shall I do to get all my info I thought I saved back? Please help!! :)

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Is your Windows version Service pack 2?

southwest34

southwest34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes. I did all the required updates prior to reinstalling any software.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I guess I should have asked, do you have the same Service Pack installed now that you had when you ran the Wizard to save your files? Are you running The Wizard now from your PC or from the Cd?

southwest34

southwest34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I am running the same set up. I simply reinstalled Windows to clean up my system. I don't do it very often so i was a bit rusty. I thought using Files and Settings Transfer Wizard would be the ideal method but i was wrong! I should have used the old school method and manually backed up myself!!