Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extending a Wifi / Wired Network

• Please log in to reply

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi;
I have a wired/wireless network in my house and when in my workshop I can access the internet using a PCI Wifi Card with a High Gain Antenna.
This is fine but i now want to be able to connect more than one PC in my garage to my network or the internet.

Rather than fit extra PC's with wifi cards and high gain antennas I'd rather use a 4 port switch the question is how do I extend my wireless network from the house to the switch in the garage. I have several pieces of hardware and have tried various configurations but as I do not have a step by step guide Im fumbling in the dark!!!

The hardware I have is:
BT Home Hub - Main DSL Wireless Router in the house.

Dlink G604T - Redundant Wireless Router
Dlink DWL 2000AP+ Access Point
Dlink DES-1005D 4 Port Switch

My plan is to connect the G604T to the BT Home Hub via CAT5 Ethernet and use the G604T as an AP so that other WiFi devices with strong enough receivers not connected to the Switch in Garage can access the Wifi network as well.

On the other end in the garage I'd like to connect PC's to the DES 1005 switch and attach the DWL 2000AP to the switch and setup the DWL 2000AP in client mode to connect wirelessly to the G604T AP.

The only thing stopping me is either:
A. The hardware configuration is incompatible.
B. I don't know how each part of the network should be confiigured.

Any help would be great.

Ta

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure, but check out "Home Networking & Printer/File Sharing, What you NEED to know".

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
These sorts of setups usually fall into two categories -- (a) Stupidly easy or (b) Ridiculously difficult. It really depends on the quality of the products you're using and the associated firmware. I'm an extremely optimistic guy, so we're going to fall into Category A. Just curious, if your main router is wireless, why do you want to connect the Dlink G604T to it?

Let's just make sure we're on the same page here -- this is your desired setup:
----- (means Ethernet)
===(means wireless)

BT Home Hub - Main DSL Wireless Router ----- Dlink G604T ========= DWL 2000AP ------ Dlink DES-1005D 4 Port Switch.

Right?

We're going to do this in increments; that way, if something goes wrong, we'll know where it went wrong :)

Please login to your main wireless router, and note down it's IP Address (you'll need the IP in order to login, anyway :)). Now, connect the Dlink G604T to your main router, via an Ethernet cable. Connect a computer to your Dlink G604T via an Ethernet cable, and login to its web interface. In here, under LAN Settings (exact name may vary), you will need to manually set it's IP to be within the same subnet as your main wireless router.

For example, if your main router has an IP of 192.168.1.1, give your D-Link the IP 192.168.1.50. Ensure it's subnet mask matches the main router's subnet mask as well. While logged into your D-Link, make sure DHCP Server is turned off; there may also be a 'Client' mode setting some where, which you can turn on.

With these settings, the machine that is connected to the D-Link should be able to connect to the Internet, and be assigned an IP within the correct range (i.e. in our example, 192.168.1.x). Can it? That's the first increment; so let's make sure it's up and running.

JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Dan;

Thanks - but I actually managed to suss it out by looking at all the various answers to similiar posts I was that impressed with myself I wrote a guide!!!

Extending a WiFi / Wired Network using a DLink G604T(Second Router)/DWL-2000AP+(Access Point) and DES-1005D(4 Port Network Switch).

The steps below show how to setup a second router, in this case a DLink G604T, as an AP and connect it to another AP (DWL-2000AP+) configured in Wireless Client Mode allowing you to extend a wired LAN and connect multiple devices to the internet using a using a 4 port switch (DES-1005D).
This should work for other routers and other hardware.

1. Reset second router to factory settings, my Dlink is reset by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds with the power on - I had to resort to a custom reset for my DLink which I found here some time ago - https://www.expansys...ft.aspx?k=53282 as occasionally when Iv'e been playing around with it it crashes and a standard reset will not work.
2. Connect a wifi enabled device to to the second routers admin screen by navigating to http://<ip address of second router> for the G604T it was http://192.168.1.1 in a web browser.
3. Disable DHCP on the second router.
4. Change the management IP to be in the same range as the main router - I changed my G604T to 192.168.1.200.
5. Power up the second AP (The one that will be the wireless client on the other end of the extended WiFi network).
6. Reset to factory defaults - mine was reset by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds.
7. Connect the second AP to a PC using an ethernet cable.
8. Open Network Connections on the PC and assign a static IP Address in the same range as the second AP that you are connected to - mine was set to 192.168.0.51
9. Open an IE browser and connect to second APs admin page by entering http://<ip address of the second AP> - mine was http://192.168.0.50
10. Enter the admin screen usually admin <no password> but check your specific model manual.
11. Now it gets a bit hazy here on my DWL-2000AP I had to select Advanced - and change the mode to Wireless Client and carry out site survey, this is to find the AP that you want to connect to and enter its SSID and mac address to ensure that the AP now in wireless client mode knows which AP to connect to (consult your specific models manual.
12. Once the site survey was completed it found my second router (my G604T) and I clicked connect.
13. Close the connection window.
14. Apply changes to the AP - my device auto re-started
15. Exit browser web browser.
16. Disconnect the second AP from PC.
17. Re-connect the second AP to the 4 port switch.
18. Remove static IP address from PC.
19. Re-connect the PC to the 4 port switch.
19. Check IP address - IP address should be assigned by and be in the range(subnet) of the main router (My assigned IP Address was 192.168.1.65)
20. Test internet connection.
21. Login to second router, by entering the second routers IP Address in a we browser as above - mine was 192.168.1.200 and change wireless encryption to WEP or WPA the highest that your AP (Wireless Client) can handle, and enter an encryption key - write it down for the next step and keep it safe as any WiFi devices that need to access the second router will also need the same key. It may also be a good idea to set an admin password for the second router to avoid unwanted access.
22. Carry out steps 7-10 above and set WEP or WPA as chosen above in step 21, and also set an admin password for the second AP.
23. Reconnect the AP to the 4 port switch and remove the static IP address from the PC that was connected to the AP to set it up.
24. Fingers crossed check internet connection.

:)

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Looks good, Jonny :)

Thanks for taking the time to post how you managed to resolve your issue(s); feedback is always appreciated.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
One of the better post backs I've seen. Wonder if it could be added to the How-to-Guides and Tutorials section?

Post Your Guides Here For Approval