Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bizarre One..

• Please log in to reply

Andy~B

Andy~B

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a strange one....

I'll try my best to be specific as to not confuse, but since I already am, it will be tuff.

We have two computers. My sons and mine.

My son's computer has the ASUS A8N-Premium MB and an EVGA 8600 GTS Graphics card.
All works fine and dandy.

My computer.. piece of s....

I upgrade his computer, new motherboard (ASUS M4A79 Deluxe), cpu, and graphics card EVGA 9800 GTX
All works awesome..

I take his old, but still cool stuff and put it in a new case. Same CPU, memory and all...

Here's the problem, "no video is coming out of the graphics card (8600) now". I swap out the
old 8600 for the new 9800 and presto, now I get video. Everything is loading up nicely and
working properly (OS wise). I give him back the 9800, but the 8600 that was working just hours
ago back in and I'm back to no video.

So I figure the graphics card went bad during the move. How, I don't know. So I go to
the store and buy a new 9800 GT for myself. Install it, presto "NO VIDEO". Put it in
my sons computer, still no video.

My best guess is that the 8600 went bad and that the 9800 gt that I bought is bad, because the
9800 GTX works fine in both machines.

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated before I go running back to the store whining
like a little boy to return the 9800GT

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
There was one thread here recently where unplugging the monitor from AC actually fixed a no video problem. Why that worked, I have no idea... maybe the monitor auto settings? I also don't know if you are using the same monitor that was originally used for your original computer, so heaven only knows if the monitor was ever plugged in before.

Edited by makai, 24 February 2009 - 11:40 AM.

Andy~B

Andy~B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for responding Makai....

I think your on to something. It's 4 days later and I'm still determined.
I've figured out it's not the graphics cards. I'm using the 8600 with the
new monitor (Samsung t240) but in analog mode with the dvi adapter to
the graphics card.

I want the DVI to DVI to work!!! If I wanted analog I wouldn't have upgraded.
I'm close to a resolution, I can smell it.. when I figure it out I'll post here....

There was one thread here recently where unplugging the monitor from AC actually fixed a no video problem. Why that worked, I have no idea... maybe the monitor auto settings? I also don't know if you are using the same monitor that was originally used for your original computer, so heaven only knows if the monitor was ever plugged in before.

Andy~B

Andy~B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No make/model.. it's a custom build....