Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running at 100% cpu usage.

• Please log in to reply

Brooklyn420

Brooklyn420

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I turned my pc on the other day and tried to go into a program that was on my desktop.Clicked the icon and nothing happened .Pulled up Task Manager and noticed I was running 100% cpu usage.I didnt have anything else running at the time so I dont understand why I was? Hopefully someone can lend a hand here because I am wreckin my brain trying to figure this out! Thx in advance :)

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What process in task manager is running at 100%?

Brooklyn420

Brooklyn420

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
System is running at 100%. I dont have any programs running and when i try to open a file it doesnt load and after awhile pc freezes.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Might be some kind of automatic update. You might try going to Start>run... type in msconfig

Go to the Startup tab of System Configuration Utility and uncheck anything that you suspect might be running some kind of automatic update.

You will be required to restart your computer and when it does, you will be prompted with a message... just put a check mark in the box so msconfig won't run again at start up. You might have to do this a few times until you find out which program is doing it.