Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Resolved] BSOD - Dump file attached

• Please log in to reply

the_punisher

the_punisher

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I keep getting a BSOD on my laptop and it stays for about a second and then the system restarts.

can some one please identify the problem, I have attached the .dmp and the .xml file along with a .txt file

Thankyou

Ive also checked the list here : http://www.geekstogo...des-t43519.html but thats not helping as i dont know where the stop code is in my dump file, also the BSOD only stays on for a second.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.zip   27.72KB   130 downloads

Edited by the_punisher, 23 February 2009 - 10:09 PM.

Advertisements

the_punisher

the_punisher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
*Update*

I started up windows using the "Last know good configuration" from the F8 menu.

It worked and windows started up fine, it was working fine too, so i decided to test it properly, i ran the super pi software on it : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_PI

i got the same error on loop 4, of the test and the computer restarted.

*Update 2*

I tried to reinstall xp by repairing it by selecting the repair option from the windows cd during startup. I got the same BSOD during the file copy process.... ummm... does this now show any hardware failure?

Edited by the_punisher, 23 February 2009 - 04:46 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your dump file indicates busted processor.

the_punisher

the_punisher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Your dump file indicates busted processor.

Thx for your reply Broni.

How did this happen, i have never done any overclocking or anything... all i did was change my mainboard. my previous mainboard got fried due to a power issue so i bought another mainboard of my laptop, dell latitude d610.

Do you think this might have caused my processor to stop functioning, and is there any way i can fix my processor..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't think, there is answer to your question, how it happened. Things just got broken.
But, keep in mind, this only my on-line opinion. You shouldn't treat it as a definitive sentence.
With this kind of hardware issue, you'd have to take the computer to the shop, to be 100% sure.

the_punisher

the_punisher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thx a lot broni. i will do so.

marking this thread as resolved now

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome, and I hope, I was.....wrong :)

the_punisher

the_punisher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
LOL, thx a lot Broni, I hope so too :)

the_punisher

the_punisher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
k so i gave it to the tech guys and they tell me that i have a fried processor..

but before i go out and buy a new processor i want to confirm that the new one will not get fried as well. also i want to confirm if this was my fault or not.

so when i was changing the mainboard i removed the processor and the heatsink, i then really cleaned the top of the processor and the bottom of the heatsink to a shiny level i.e. cleaned it so much that both of them had a reflective surface lol.

so i read on the internet that there is supposed to be some kind of heat transfer solution between the processor and the heatsink.

so was it maybe because of this my processor got fried..?? but even before the cleaning there was not much on the surfaces, there was some thin layer of something that i thought was dirt or oily fingers prints :/

also can a mainboard fry a processor? that is a faulty mainboard? if i get another processor and install it in this board with the proper heat transfer precautions then is there any chance that the processor may get fried again?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
First of all, I'm sorry for....being right :)
Secondly, I'm pretty far for being hardware expert, so I suggest, you start new topic about your latest questions.