Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smart Short Test Failure, how to get data from HD

• Please log in to reply

Greg68

Greg68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update -

Last night I attached my external backup HD via the USB port and fumbled through the data move without the mouse pointer on the screen, it worked perfectly! I had to right click on the external HD icon and select "change read / write mode" and select “yes” before the system would let me write to the external HD. I just highlighted the files on the internal HD and used "copy to" to move them. I moved just over 80G in about 2.5 hours, pictures, movies, files etc.

I then rebooted the Knoppix CD to see if that would help with the mouse pointer, it was visible for a while. It still disappears but restarting Knoppix resolves the problem for a while. Sure would have been a big help getting to know Knoppix if it would have shown up on the first try but I am not complaining at this point.

I was not able to get the thumb drives to work but I didn't spend much time trying to figure that one out as the other method worked.

Knoppix was easy to use and saved me on this one, time to get a new HD and a backup HD and start re-building. Here is a link to a user’s manual for Knoppix, it was helpful as well.

http://www.scribd.co...X-by-Phil-Jones

Thanks again for all your help...

Greg

Advertisements

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
How're we looking?

Greg68

Greg68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Not sure if you saw my update yesterday, but I have recovered all the data from the old HD using an external backup drive through the USB port. I am in good shape here.

Just purchased a new HD, it is installed and is going through the HP Refreash Process right now. I think I am getting close...

With an extra slot in the CPU, would there be any harm adding the old HD as another drive. Might be a little easier to move the data to the new HD now that I know it is still on the old HD.

Thanks,
Greg

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Not sure if you saw my update yesterday, but I have recovered all the data from the old HD using an external backup drive through the USB port. I am in good shape here.

Just purchased a new HD, it is installed and is going through the HP Refreash Process right now. I think I am getting close...

With an extra slot in the CPU, would there be any harm adding the old HD as another drive. Might be a little easier to move the data to the new HD now that I know it is still on the old HD.

Thanks,
Greg

It could very well be an easier way to do it. and I don't see any reason why not. Giving the few days that have passed you've probably already done it.