Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual booting Vista x64 and Windows XP Professional (32 bit)

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have a 400GB drive. I had Windows Vista x64 installed on it but had a few problems with compatibility on programs and things, so reduced the 400GB Vista partition so that there was 60GB free for XP.

I installed Windows XP on the 60GB partition and was able to boot into it easily and I installed my programs I needed, done my updates, installed drivers etc etc. Now the boot only allowed me to boot into Windows XP and not Vista. I used a piece of software called VistaBoot Pro to try and get the boot options back for both the Vista partition and maintain the XP booting.

After I toyed with it I restarted and was only able to boot into Windows Vista. After trying to repair the XP boot on the hard drive I have completely managed to delete the boot program altogether.

Now I have removed the hard drive from the computer and have it plugged into another. Both partitions are accessible, both the Windows Vista and the Windows XP but I am unable to boot into either.

I know the files are there and the programs and the drives are fully accessible but I am unable to boot into either of the operating systems now.

Does anyone know how to correct this so that I am able to boot into both systems?

Thanks in advance.

SuperSam.

Advertisements

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello SuperSam,

IF you do not have a computer/drive with a recovery partition and non-standard MBR and IF you have a Vista DVD, you can reattach the hard drive to your computer and boot the Vista DVD and try a repair (bottom left on the screen that says "install now"). There will be an option for startup repair. It may start automatically. That may work, never had this issue myself. Outline here

If that doesn't work (and you don't have a recovery partition/nonstandard MBR) you can choose command prompt in the system recovery options and try this

If you have a recovery partition/nonstandard MBR contact the computer manufacturer for recovery options.

What did you delete?

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
It is a completely custom built computer, no recovery partition.

It is an OEM Vista x64 install on a 400GB drive, using the whole drive as one partition. I shrank it down to 340GB~ to make a 60GB partition for XP. I then installed Windows XP, at which point XP installs it's own boot manager and after restarting didn't have the option for Vista. I used an application called "VistaBOOTPro" to get the booting option back for Vista, which it did, but I lost the ability to boot into Windows XP. Now I was then in Vista, but unable to boot into XP, I used the same program, VistaBOOTPro on Vista, and thought I had made changes to then boot into both XP and Vista, but upon reboot the POST displays, the option to boot from a CD, then nothing, just a black screen. No boot options whatsoever.

I have tried the Vista recovery to no avail, and the same using the XP cd to repair the XP install booter.

This would indicate that it had deleted maybe some of the XP or Vista files, but now the Hard Drive is plugged into a different computer (with windows already installed) I am able to open and view the files in both of the XP and Vista partitions. But unable to boot into either of the operating systems. So what I am looking for now is either a program or a tutorial, doesn't have to be standard, can be something such as GRUB maybe to get a bootloader of which can allow the system to boot into the operating systems?

Hope this has cleared any questions up for you, thanks.

shinybeast

shinybeast

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Did you try the bootrec.exe method at the Microsoft link in my previous post? Link

It sounds like the MBR got hosed. I doubt VistaBootPro deleted any files. It may have screwed up the MBR or boot sector. On the MS bootrec.exe page there are commands for fixing the MBR and boot sector. If you have gone through that process then I don't know what to suggest. Maybe the hard drive has problems or you need to reinstall Vista.

You might also try reinstalling XP, and using the "Rebuild Vista Bootloader" option in VistaBootPro again.

Edited by shinybeast, 25 February 2009 - 03:26 AM.