Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet encryption

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have a laptop where I set up wireless internet and I have the password or encryption saved to my computer. My problem is know when my girlfriend comes over with her laptop I do not know where to look to find the password so she can use it also. I do not want to have to reset up everything and was just wondering where to look for the encryption code. I had someone help me set it up so im not sure if I am using the windows configuration or an acual softwares or if that even matters. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey redcrypt,

If you know how to, log into your router's web interface, and under Wireless Security, or Wireless Settings (exact name will vary from router to router), you will see a section that has your encryption keyphrase. Usually, there is an option to "unobscure" it, so that you can read it. This is what you will need to type into your girlfriends laptop.

If you don't know how to login to your router's web interface, please post the exact make and model of your router, and we will attempt to assist you.

If your router doesn't have an option to display the passphrase in plain text, then let me know, as it may be necessary to give it a new passphrase; this process isn't overly difficult, however.

- Dan