Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Picked up free intel mobo

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay here is the deal, over the weekend I picked up a Biostar P4M890-M7 PCI-E mobo with an Intel Celeron 3.33ghz Cpu.

I am looking at some low cost upgrades to better support running Mac OS X on it for a hackintosh system. And I am looking at getting a better CPU, more specificly this one -> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115206 It is an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale.

Cross checking the biostar site here http://www.biostar-u...rt.php?S_ID=158 says it wont go since it isn't list in the model list of supported CPUS, but the FSB and Watt requirments match, the only diff is the CPU on biostar is a diff model and slower speed and the one I am looking at is 2.8ghz instead.

I would like to get the E8400 and throw it in that system, since it flies along. I've had really good preformance with it in my other desktop.

So simply, Will the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 work in the biostar board, if not will the one listed above work? My limit is $200 for cpu, ram, gfx card.

ram and gfx is under 120

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Since Biostar website doesn't list the two processors you mention, and there doesn't seem to be a bios update to support these CPUs (at least nothing I saw), your best bet would be to contact Biostar and ask them directly.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I sent them a "E-Support" Trouble request, They don't have a 800 num I can call to get a quick and direct answer. Hopefully they respond in a reasonable time. If I dont hear from the by thursday I will send them another email.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
The E8400 is out, since it is only 1333 and wont run at the slower 1066, I am still waiting on the reply about the E7400 chip which is at the same FSB + Watt draw as the motherboard supports.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay final verdict, The board will run any C2D as long as it meets the following,

IS NOT 45nm, Must be 65nm
FSB is not greater than 1066mghz, and core wattage does not go over 95watts

So that is it, back to looking for a new cpu,

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, that drops the Wolfdales out of the race. Thanks for letting the board know! Good luck finding your next processor! :)