Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet only works in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

charlesjw

charlesjw

• Pip
  • 4 posts
All of a sudden last week my internet stopped working, but intermittently starts working sometimes. I tried the power cycle on my router, the reset button, and restarted my computer, and none of it seemed to make it work again. Randomly, after a couple hours, I'd check it and sometimes it would be up for 15 minutes, then stop working again. I have Verizon Fios so I contacted them multiple times. Finally got an administrator on the phone last night and he helped me out some then referred me here. He told me how to go into safe mode, then he remoted in. Safe mode lets internet explorer run just fine. He opened a list of programs to run during start up and looked a few of them up. He unchecked a couple potentially bad ones, but this didn't seem to fix the problem. Every time I start up normally and open internet explorer, google, my homepage, doesn't run. In the tab it just displays "Connecting..." indefinitely. I've tried other sites to no avail either. The Verizon administrator said he thinks there's something corrupting internet explorer and not letting it run properly. He recommended writing here to see if anyone can suggest help. I can't figure out how to get back to where he looked at what start up programs there are, but it was something he typed in after Start->Run. He made sure my firewall was off and that the phishing filter was off too. Also, I read on here earlier that having 2 antivirus programs installed can mess things up. I had Norton originally and about a year ago installed AVG. AVG is what runs and Norton is turned off. I'm at work, but when I get home I'll try to get rid of Norton (it's out of date anyways) and see if that helps at all. I appreciate any recommendations! Thanks!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Rather then just uninstalling Norton, try removing it using The Norton Removal Tool. Norton likes to latch itself into systems and then uninstall utility doesn't always cut it. The Removal Tool completely yanks the program out of the system.

I would say to try that and see if it resolves your issue - the Norton firewall can really mess things up.

charlesjw

charlesjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I successfully uninstalled Norton via your link. Now I have only AVG and my internet explorer works great! Thank you so much. If it just happens to be a coincidence and my internet goes back out in a few minutes or tomorrow or something then I'll get back on here and let you know, but as of right now it's wonderful. Thanks again!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Glad to know it worked! :)

charlesjw

charlesjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Now I'm having another issue that I think is related to this one. After going through and removing old programs I didn't need and all to help troubleshoot this problem before I posted, now that the internet is fixed I'm having problems with my audio/video. Instead of sounds as normal, there's just a beep from the computer itself, not out of the speakers. I get nothing out of the speakers. Tried the headphones jack in the front, and the speaker one in the back. Windows media player won't play anything - it says it's the wrong file format and must close. Even the stuff I've got saved on my computer that used to play, now doesn't play. I downloaded Divx and that plays, but still no sound. Also the speaker button, that you use to adjust the sound/mute, in the bottome right of the screen has disappeared. Please help! Thanks!