Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

custompc vs gaming laptop

• Please log in to reply

yanks23

yanks23

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey i need a new pc and want something i can play games on. At first i was goin to build a desktop to save money but was convinced to get a gaming laptop. I was looking at Hp dvt5 and the hdx16t becaue they both come with a 9600gt. What do u think i should get? Reccomendations on other laptops or choices on parts for a desktop will be great. My budget is about 1500. I have also been looking at asus n sager, which is better? Im not too tech savy but do kno a lil. Any help will be great thanks.

Edited by yanks23, 24 February 2009 - 02:20 PM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Hi yanks23, welcome to Geeks To Go!

Just a question, what convinced you to get a gaming laptop instead of desktop? Is there a real need for a laptop?

In my opinion, if your computer is staying put in one place, a desktop would be much better. You can build a nice desktop with that budget with a much better video card (much better than the 9600GT you're looking at). Will you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse with this build then if you're going desktop?

Also, if you get a laptop, the only thing you can easily replace/upgrade would be memory and hard drive. CPU would be a bit trouble to install and will be expensive than the desktop counterpart. Video card you cannot upgrade.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 24 February 2009 - 02:46 PM.

yanks23

yanks23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a tv which can be used as a monitor and i wont be taking my laptop anywhere which is why i first planned on building a desktop but friends keep convincing me to get a laptop, but i think im just goin to go with the custom desktop, thanks for the help.
Any reccomendations on parts would be great and my budget is about 1000 but would like a starter pc that would cost about 500 to 600, if u can help that would be great.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Yanks23, Welcome...

If you are serious about gaming and wanting a nice computer...in my opinion a desktop is the way to go. I say this in a mature and nice way, your friends may think it's best to get a laptop because it is more of a fashion statement, and it is the "in thing" right now. And, you would look cool at the coffee shop with your laptop open, or carrying it around town, etc. And it is the definite winner in the mobility factor for sure! LOL

But, if you are wanting something of ability and options...go with the desktop.

You can upgrade much much easier, have more bang for your buck, and with some final touches-trick it out way cooler than a laptop. Neat lights, window on the side panel of the tower, etc. Because I noticed in your second post, you said CUSTOM Desktop.

I own a laptop and was convinced to get one too. I love it for mobility, and it comes in handy for sure. But after owning it a while, I wished I had a desktop to be able to sit back and relax while I play or work on the computer.

Hope you don't mind Kamille,

Good luck Yanks23,

Edited by Ferrari, 02 March 2009 - 05:06 PM.