Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie needs help with drwtsn32, there are no icons anywhere!

• Please log in to reply

cgenterprise

cgenterprise

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys and gals-
Newbie to this forum, and really would appreciate some help... further, I don't know much of the tech jargon, so please bear with me

I've got a Sony Vaio desktop with Windows XP. The computer starts normally, and when asked to click a user, I log on. This takes much longer than it normally did, and once my screen pops up, there are no icons. I click ctrl-alt-delete to bring up the task manager, and dwwin.exe flashes once or twice, and then drwtsn32 starts to fill up the processes box. I thought if I went into the task manager file, and the New Task(Run...) and type explorer.exe, I would get my icons back, but no such luck. When I do this, the dwwin.exe pops up again, and the drwtsn32's start to appear.

Right now, I've ended the "process trees" for the drwtsn32. All the "Image Names" on the process list are as follows:
SV_Httpd.exe
taskmgr.exe
VzFw.exe
svchost.exe (6 times)
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
svchost.exe (2 more times)
System
System Idle Process SYSTEM

After doing a little research, I'm aware that this is part of Windows XP, and isn't considered a virus. But ?!?!?!?!

This isn't the newest computer, about 5 years old, and I plan on buying a new one. But I've got a lot of info I need to get off this computer, along with wedding and baby pics, and so on, and so on. I've read a few other threads that show how to get rid of drwtsn32 all together, but I'm not looking for that. I'll I need to do is to get into my files, back them up, and move on.

Please help if you can. I promise I won't take any credit for this, if and when I can tell my wife that the problem is fixed.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try Safe Mode?

cgenterprise

cgenterprise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying Broni!

How do I get to safe mode from initial start up, or from the task manager?

Thanks again!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
this is how

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.

cgenterprise

cgenterprise

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Good morning, and thanks for replying Rorschach112 -

I've rebooted, and pressed F8 continually. On a blue screen with a black background, this is what I get:

Please select boot device:
SM-PIONEER DVD-RW DVR107D
1st FLOPPY DRIVE
PM-ST3160021A

"Up" and "Down" (arrow key symbols) to move selection
ENTER to select boot device
ESC to boot using defaults

I've selected all three boot devices, and pressed ESC, and all four times the computer started up normally, not in safe mode. Same stuff from below happened all four times when I clicked the user (no icons, drwtsn32, etc)

Thanks again for the help, but what do I do next?!?!?!?!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Start tapping F8 key as soon as the Vaio Splash screen ends.